Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cold Weather &Carrots

Posted by IsRad Wa (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 3:10

Hi,
So this spring and summer aren't exactly conducive to my direct seed planting. I'm brand new to this but none of my carrots or pumpkins are coming up at all. I planted the end of April and again middle of May. Any ideas? If I have to I'll germinate inside. Is this happening to anyone else?
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cold Weather &Carrots

• Posted by laurell 8 - Washington (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 20, 11 at 14:54

Most of my stuff is doing merely satisfactorily, and I went all out and made hoop houses for the first time this year. Sad showing, although we can probably look forward to a bountiful and long lasting crop of peas this year!

o

Sowed both carrots & radishes 4/17 with germination & slow growth at first. Now carrot top growth is about 4". Radishes are towering over them at 8-10". Some good size radishes & others are mostly tops as they were shallowly rooted. I had hoped the mulching would help them.

Our cabbages, kale, lettuces, spinach, chives, & broccoli seem to be thriving as long as I keep up with slug control. Deer found the lettuces quite tasty the other night, but I've planted enough for all of us!

I am embarrassed to admit that all the warm season things are still in the greenhouse (tomatoes & peppers) or are still seeds in the packets (summer & winter squash & cucumbers). Soil had been covered with black plastic for weeks & uncovered on the weekend, so should be moist, warm, & ready to plant now at least for squashes.

With 47 degrees at night I'm holding back the peppers & tomatoes until it's warmer & thinking about rearranging things to keep most in large pots in the greenhouse instead.

I want vine ripened tomatoes & peppers, but know I can purchase them at the farmer's market instead if I must. It might be more realistic for me to focus on the things that grow well in cooler weather & enjoy my summer without having to water & babysit tomato plants with plastic surrounding them.

o

My wife and I started a small garden down at my parents house in Salem. Everything but our tomatoes were seeds planted directly in the ground. Everything is growing well EXCEPT the carrots. A few sprouted early but only three are currently growing. Its been a tough spring but this recent spat of good weather seemed to help things establish fairly well.

o

Carrots can be tricky, they need just the right combination of soil, planting depth, hand-watering, and weather to cooperate. We often have to replant. Our earlier-planted patch has 10" greens and is well filled-in.

Most other common vegetables have been easier and consistent from year-to-year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here