Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where to plant Abutilon?

Posted by bluephoenixx 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 3:14

Howdy,

I'm a super newbie gardener in San Francisco. I really have no idea what I'm doing - it's all trial and error at this point. I created a raised bed in my sandy yard and planted a bunch of stuff I just happened to like. Recently I bought an Abutilon and read that it likes morning sun and afternoon shade. My problem is there is only one small corner of my raised bed that fits those conditions and I already have a very happy Phormium taking up most of that space. I could probably inch the Phormium back a tiny bit but would the Abutilon still be too crowded in there? I could probably also move the raise bed out further into the yard but I was hoping to create more hardscape there instead (cat probably won't like that much). Can I move it to a large container and place outside of the bed? I read that Abutilons are not always happy in containers. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where to plant Abutilon?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 13, 10 at 16:31

Move the phormium, which will get much bigger and would probably just as soon be in full light anyway.

The flowering maple can be trained flat onto the fence, rather than allowed to bulge out over the other plants.

o

btw, abutilons grow beautifully in containers. In fact, in areas where the vast majority of them are not fully hardy - like here in the PNW - most of them are grown as seasonal container plants and/or houseplants. I've grown various species and hybrids in containers for many years. It is at least an option to consider if garden space is at a premium.

o

Thanks for the responses! I think I will try to keep the Abutilon in a container and move it outside of the bed - out near where the cat is sleeping. Then I'll inch the Phormium up more into the sun. Now I'll have to find something that likes shade that can be seen behind the phormium - or just have a big dead space back there... Gardening is quite fun but challenging.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here