Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white poppy problem

Posted by delta_1 western Canada (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 3:35

I have a white poppy growing in my garden
But for the last year or so it looks like the part that holds the petal which should be green is turning black
and the flower does not open up only a few flowers are okay on the same plant
Has anyone had this problem
Im wondering if I should just pull it out the garden for good
and hope I can find another one
which might just be very hard to do
or should I spray it with something
or plant it somewhere else
thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white poppy problem

Since perennial poppies are early season bloomers, it is possible that excessive spring rains or wet weather could rot the flower buds. I am not aware of any specific diseases that these plants are prone to and I have never experienced this phenomenon myself. A sunny, well-drained location with good air circulation can help.

White oriental poppies are not exactly uncommon - there's several cultivars on the market - so you could replace it rather easily if you wanted or needed to.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 29, 09 at 13:26

I've had Oriental poppies go black and shrivel before also. Have never tried to find out exact cause.

o

I had that problem last year, and found that earwigs were crawling into the unopened buds and eating the flowers before they bloomed. We used sluggo plus to control them and haven't had any problems since then. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here