Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
delta_1

another problem re: bamboo

delta_1
14 years ago

I have a bamboo plant in my garden I have had it for about 8 years

Now it used to grow up to 8 or 9 feet tall but for the last few years it seems to shrinking in size and this year it never even came up at all

Do they have a life span or is it just died on me

thanks ladies if anyone cares to comment on this

Comments (13)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

Well, that's a switch! :-) Usually, the complaints with bamboo involve how to contain their aggressive nature or how to remove them entirely rather than them just up and dying.

Without more information (type of bamboo, growing conditions, etc.), it's pretty difficult to speculate on what might be the problem. Most species of bamboo are quite long-lived and die off only after blooming, which generally occurs very infrequently. But hardiness of different species vary and poor or incorrect growing conditions or pest/disease issues can play a role also.

And the majority of bamboos are evergreen, so your comment on it "never even came up" this year adds to the confusion. We just need more information to determine what might have happened.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Is this a grass with an evergreen top and woody canes or an herbaceous plant with heart- or spade-shaped leaves that dies to the ground every year? The latter is called knotweed and is a hated weed here. Possibly somebody sprayed it with herbicide, without your authorization - although in that case there would normally be a phase where it is being obviously discolored and deformed after the application was made.

Some herbicides also have a strong lingering smell.

• delta_1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have posted a picture of the plant in the Garden photo gallery
    it had long slim leaves and grew to 8 or 9 feet tall
    the stems were just normal like not what you would normally see not woody
    but they did tell me it was a bamboo
    the leaves shed in the winter
    and in the Spring it was a new growth
    sorry don't have the name as I bought it about 8 yrs years ago

• plantknitter
    14 years ago

can you post the link to the photo?
    I can't find what forum it is on.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Here is Delta's picture:

• Mary Palmer
    14 years ago

Not bamboo! Interesting plant however, I am sure someone will know what it is.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Might be one of the narrow-leaved sunflowers, definitely not a bamboo. A closer view needed to be able to tell much about its structure.

• delta_1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ladies .but it is not a narrow leaved sunflower
    as it has no flowers just leaves
    As far as getting a better picture hmmmmm it is not possible as the plant never grew back this year and the previous picture was taken a few years back
    Anyhow thanks

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

I do not see delta's question posted on the bamboo forum; she may get more results there.

• Mary Palmer
    14 years ago

It's not a bamboo!

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    14 years ago

not a bamboo! i think thats why that panda in the photo has those forlorn eyes.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

The same site conditions that apparently killed it may have been preventing it from maturing and flowering.

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Bamboo forum members may be especially familiar with "not a bamboo" plants.