Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shrubs/bushes to plant along a fence????

Posted by fraservalley (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 3:54

We are putting up a split rail fence between our yard and our neighbours. I'm not sure of what type of shrubs/bushes would be best to plant. The fence will be @ 40' long. I want plants that will compliment the fence not hide it, maybe something in a natural state(not pruned)loosely planted. Some privacy would be good with a maximum height of 6' and minimum of @ 4'. We want to be able to see the fence in between the plants, sort of a natural type of setting. Probably a mix of evergreen and deciduous. Overall we are going with a front yard that has a natural feel to it with artificial stone over the concrete wallof the house, some arrangement of large rocks, and a corner fence made of split rail, flagstone walkway/patio etc. Plants along the fence will be in full sun most of the day. Does anyone have any Ideas?? One more thing, our neighbour has small children so poisonous berries is something that I want to stay away from.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shrubs/bushes to plant along a fence????

I think a rambling pink rose over a split wood fence is just gorgeous. That won't give you the privacy you are looking for though.

o

Ideally I'd think you want a variety of shrubs, evergreen and deciduous, rather than a row of one thing. You can plant perennials in between to give you a bit more privacy during the summer. A rambling rose would be nice. Red-twig dogwood (I like the one with the variegated leaf), yellow-twig dogwood, shrub roses, all kinds of vibernum, hydrangeas, azaleas (The species azaleas have a particularly nice open form), spireas, choysias. . . Underplant with hostas and interesting ground covers. With a little planning you can have something in bloom or displaying berries or colored foliage pretty much all year 'round.
If you want to go with native plants consider Oregon grape (the berries are edible), flowering currant (ditto), mock orange, Nootka rose, salal, high bush cranberry, native rhodies, spirea densiflora, evergreen huckleberries.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 21, 06 at 21:05

What kind of soil conditions, exposure, climate regime?

o

How wide would the bed along the fence be? Would a camellia work? I like my variegated leaf Red Twig Dogwood (like trolley molly), but it gets wide in a hurry. My "Winter Flame" dogwood grew quickly, too. Another favorite is Barberry, but the kind I have has thorns (don't know if all of them do). Of course, it all depends on the things bboy mentioned: soil conditions, exposure, climate regime.

o

To me, split rail fences cry out for climbing roses. They bloom for so long and so gloriously that you need a few in the row for sure. I would definately plant some taller shrubs and mix evergreens and deciduous shrubs and perennials in too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here