Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
earthworm73

Fig Trees

earthworm73
14 years ago

Has anyone grown fig trees long term (5 years +) her in the PNW? I am thinking about putting one in place of two windmill palms that died from this past winter hard freezes. If you have pics of yours that would be nice too.

Larrick

Comments (8)

• beluga01
    14 years ago

Sorry, No pics. i have a fifteen year old Desert King Fig in my front yard. It is the most productive (and most common) fig where i live on San Juan island. It fruits well every year, in a process unlike any other fruit tree i know of. After the usual late July harvest, it almost immediately starts growing a second crop of fruit. We have never gotten this 2nd fruit set because the fall weather denies it. The tree survived last winter's 3 days of 4° F just fine.

Because figs do so much better than European plums in my microclimate, This spring I took out a prune plum, that has never produced well for us, and put in a second fig from Raintree. This one is way more exotic, called a Negronne. Pictures I've seen show it as Navy blue with red-orange flesh. It is supposed to have a unique flavor. It is now growing like gangbusters.

• seattlesuze
    14 years ago

Our Desert King fig is six years old, had some tip dieback from last winter's weather, and is showing a small crop this year. It leafed out late and is about 7 x 6 in size. We added a Brown Turkey fig in a half barrel this spring. I'll see if I can locate a photo for you.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

The great thing about figs is that deer don't bother them, and they don't seem to need much water. They do need a lot of sunshine.

Desert King and Latterula have done well for me. They make it through the winter fine, and bear tasty figs that get ripe.

Negronne only can ripen fruit that was small in the preceding year and not frozen out over the winter. Some years I get a lot, this year none made it over the winter. It has very good dark figs.

Stella and Brown Turkey died back to the ground 2 winters ago, I'm not encouraged that they will ever really make it here, I want to replace them with cuttings from DK and Latterula.

I also have a very vigorous NOID fig that has poor quality watery figs with not much flavor, but it bears great.:-(

• JudyWWW
    14 years ago

I have an Atreano from One Green World. It's been in about 8 years. It is about 12' tall and almost always ripens its first crop (except 2008) but not its second. I had a little winter damage...some die back from our low temps this winter (8 to 10 degrees for several days) but it has a pretty good crop coming on.

It sends up lots of sprouts around the trunk. These root easily in water or soil and grow quickly into sturdy little trees.

No deer damage but sometimes the birds discover them and peck at them enough to destroy individual fruit. I've heard from friends that once raccoons discover them they quickly acquire a taste for them and sometimes damage the trees in their exuberance. jwww

• tallclover
    14 years ago

I'm a big fan of Negronne as it's been one of the best figs I've planted and a flavor and texture I like for fresh eating. I posted a picture of it on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Negronne Fig photo, a.k.a. Violette du Bordeaux

• tallclover
    14 years ago

Here's a pic of another fig I like: Violetta.

Here is a link that might be useful: pic of Violetta Fig ...delicious!

• earthworm73
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks all. One more question. Can you just pop a fig in your mouth and eat it?

• beluga01
    14 years ago

pop 'em in your mouth. and if you can wait long enough, 'til they sag on the tree branch (looking a bit like a deflated fig), sometimes with a tiny drop of sweet liquid hanging on the bottom, the flavor can't be beat by any fig you'll ever buy in a store.