Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good composting device

Posted by garrai81 10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 7:47

I want to start composting my kitchen waste (banana peels, egg shells, etc), to use the product in my garden. We (my son and I) do not produce much kitchen waste.

There are so many devices out there to speed things up, it's overwhelming.

I would rather not spend 200 bucks or more on some large composting bin.

Or do I even need a device?

I live in a neighborhood, so smell is an issue.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks.

mac

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good composting device

No device needed.

Smells not a problem if you don't overload with fresh greens.

See "Cmposting at Home"
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1189.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Composting at Home

o

I agree that no device is needed. If all you want to compost is a small amount of kitchen waste, just bury it in a garden bed. There will be no smell. Dig a hole fairly deep, like a foot or so, or you might have critters digging it up. I wouldn't recommend dealing with meat products or leftover food this way, just uncooked vegetable trimmings and coffee grounds, that sort of thing. Dig your holes in different spots. Some people who do this rotate where they dig their holes to utilize all parts of their gardens. You can do this year round and over time it can make a real difference in your soil.

o

it brings in a whole host of new problems, but man are chickens efficient composting machines. anything they don't eat they poop on. things just "disappear" in their run. paper towels last about 3 days in the winter, linger a bit more in the summer.

i dig out their run in the late winter, cover my beds with the soil/straw mix and let the area rest till spring planting. make sure you get some freeze thaw cycles in there before you plant.

Here is a link that might be useful: chicken manure

o

Thanks for the commments.

I appreciate them.

mac

o

Worm composting seems to be easy to do in an urban setting and the castings are as good as any other compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here