Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
garrai81

Scappoose Topsoil Source?

garrai81
10 years ago

I need about 2 cubic feet of topsoil delivered, but we live in Scappoose.

I cannot seem to find a single local source of topsoil.

Would anyone on this list know of one?

Thanks.

Mac

Comments (6)

• jean001a
    10 years ago

2 cubic feet? Or is it yards?

If only feet, suggest you obtain the bagged stuff.

For bulk delivery, try Scappoose Sand & Gravel Landscape Supply.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    10 years ago

I am sure there are bulk soil providers in the greater Portland area that would deliver to Scappoose - you're not that far away :-) Northwest Compost Products delivers throughout the Portland/Vancouver metro area. And you can call 503/234-3000 or the Metro recycling hotline for the "dirt" closest to you.

The term "topsoil" can be somewhat misleading - technically it is the top 4" or so of the indigenous soil before any cultivation or construction has taken place. IOW, it could be anything. Often it is rocky, rooty, devoid of any organic matter and not good for anything but fill. Depending on your need for the soil, you may be better served by purchasing a garden planting mix, which is typically a screened soil mix comprised of a sandy loam, compost and perhaps some sort of drainage enhancer.

• seysonn
    10 years ago

They have all kinds of soils:
    1- General Top Soil : it is not really TOP soil. It is recommended for leveling and filling, not planting , unless it is amended 50/50 with compost and some sand.

2- Garden SOIL: It is a blend of general soil + compost + sand. Some may also contain manures(cow, Horse). For garden beds this is the best.
    for certain veggies some people would also add peat moss , to make if a bit fluffy for better small seeds germination and growth. I, myself got garden soild and added some bagged cow manure to it, AGAIN, what is called "Cow Manure" is NOT real cow manure. It is mostly compost/top soil plus SOME composted manure. But it is a good amender. I get 1 cubic foot bags (Steer Manure) for $1.36 from HD. Lowes has also similar stuff.
    Don't depend on these fillers to have sufficient amount of nutrients(N, P, K). I always add some all purpose fertilizer to them. Much safer and professional way would be to get a soil test done, along with pH test.

• garrai81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the posts.

I meant 2 cubic yards.

I found Chinook mini storage and Landscaping, and will visit them soon before ordering. They have a 3 yards minimum for delivery, which is fine.

• Embothrium
    10 years ago

After many years of different materials ordered both for my home garden (and for other people) I have to say I've gotten the best results here from pit run sand. I made berms and planted, without modification. Of course, what that will consist of will vary, but what I ended up with was basically sandy soil and it worked great. What is your situation, what are you trying to grow? When trying to provide a good depth of good soil for plants like vegetables or peonies the ideal is natural soil out of an old lake bed or river terrace - the same kind of environment where people make farms. But this is not usually what you will find being offered, instead artificial soil mixes are the norm. You do want to investigate before buying, at least one supplier here even includes ground up construction debris in theirs.

• botann
    10 years ago

There are less problems with a sandy mix and it's easier to work.
    Compost or ground bark as a mulch rounds out the installation after the planting.
    Always look at what you are going to buy before having it delivered. You don't want any unpleasant surprises in the middle of your driveway.
    Mike

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm