Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talee1960

Crocosmia (Lucifer) - can it compete with arborvida?

talee1960
10 years ago

A couple years ago my husband's friend brought us a fistful of budding Lucifers and said just stick them in the ground - they'll be fine. Well, I did - and in hot weather, no less. They bloomed and everything - I was so proud! Last year they seemed to have doubled in number but I thought, naw, they're just robust and healthy! Another banner blooming year. THIS year, however, they've come up and OMG taken over that entire area, choking out everything but the Black-eyed Susan and Coreopsis! I've yanked up dozens of corms and it doesn't help - there are too many!

I love this flower and want to put it alongside a privacy fence in the back yard - it would get the same amount of sun (all day). Here's the rub: on the other side of the fence are a row of mature arborvida. Those roots are shallow and there are a lot of them. So, do you think the crocosmia would grow in the more acidic soil? Of course I would amend the dirt and probably mound it somewhat to give them a chance to get used to the change before going into battle with the arborvida roots. Thoughts?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner