Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Re: trees that bloom later in summer.

Posted by plantknitter 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 11:27

Re:"Seattle would benefit by more trees that bloom later in summer."

So what are some suggestions?
We need to take out a nasty huge 'Kwanzan' Cherry between our driveway and the neighbor's driveway.

I'm also wondering what everyone considers the best/most interesting/must have Hydrangea.
I have a woodland spot where a red huckleberry died out that I thought would work for one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Re: trees that bloom later in summer.

I like the lacecap hydrangeas, myself (link below).

I always have to smile when I hear someone say that more trees need to flower in late summer/fall.

The purpose of flowering is to produce seed. They usually flower in spring so that seed has the time to grow to maturity. There may be some trees that flower in late summer, but their seed probably doesn't ripen until the next year.

Trees do what they do for themselves, they don't care what we think.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacecap hydrangeas

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 14:33

What about the Sourwood Tree? Oxydendrum arboreum.
I have two. One is doing just fine. The other has been growing rather slow for years. I may move it after the leaves drop this Fall.

As far as Hydrangeas go, 'Weiderspink' is my favorite.
Weiderspink lacecap Hydrangea

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 25, 10 at 14:14

Followup is on same site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article - Trees that merit planting in Seattle by Arthur Lee Jacobson

o

There are a few.......:-) And if you add in those shrubs that have tree-like proportions or habits, that number increases.

Sourwood, Oxydendron arboreum, is an excellent example. I'd add to that Stewartia, Albizia, Magnolia grandiflora, Chionanthus, Koelreuteria paniculata, Tilia tomentosa. More shrubby examples are elderberries, Heptacodium, Buddleja, tree-form hydranges or Rose of Sharon, Eucryphia, Aesculus parviflora, smokebush and chaste tree, Vitex agnus-castus.

o

Thanks for mentioning Eucryphia. My one threadbare-in-the-upper-regions because of two consecutive tough winters has leafed out acceptably and all the others are in fine form.

o

Oxydendron and Stewartia are both great but they want lots of moisture and the former is intolerant of heavy soils. Another idea is Hoheria, either Hoheria glabrata or H. populnea, both blooming in summer and nice all around trees.

As for Hydrangeas, there are a lot to choose from but something important to consider is size. A plant like 'Beaute Vendomoise' can top out at over 6 feet while 'Lanarth White' might be half that. Other than that it's just a matter of looking at the pictures and picking what you like best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here