Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
19juju54

Early summer into Fall flowers

19juju54
9 years ago

I have been struggling with echinacea and slugs for 3 years and I am ready to give up. I need some suggestions for full sun perrenial flowers that are tough and easy. I have Catmint growing in my beds...LOVE it...so that will give you an idea of the enviroment. I am looking for bold colors in the neighborhood of 24"-36" tall. Any help is most appreciated.

Comments (9)

• buyorsell888
    9 years ago

Caryopteris!

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

Geranium Rozanne = 'Gerwat', if you aren't totally limited to bold and tall.

• 19juju54
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep the caryopteris in mind for another area...it is a new one to me. Unfortunately bboy I am limited to bold and tall. I was excited about monarda until I read that slugs like them :( If you think of anything else please let me know.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Do you grow any hardy fuchsias? My fuchsia magellanica 'Aurea' grows two feet tall if I cut it to the ground in early spring, otherwise, it's about three feet. It grows in full sun on the edge of my shady slug bed and never sunburns. Fuchsias don't like dry soil though.

A plant that would look great with your catmint is Zagreb coreopsis. Mine is just under two feet. It likes it dry.

One year I had cleome Senorita Rosarita. It's an annual that blooms all summer and grows three feet. Very pretty and problem-free.

Then there's salvia. I've grown Hot Lips and tangerine sage in the past--this year I'm trying Black and Blue salvia.

• princessgrace79
    9 years ago

Sluggo has really improved my gardening experience and I don't have to treat as much anymore after a year of applying hard.

That said, things that the slugs don't mess with for me and that need virtually no care from me, are are coreopsis, salvia, Shasta daisy, allium, rose campion (I am partial to hot pink myself), penstemon

• jewell_pnw
    9 years ago

I love my phlox. They have multiplied and if kept dead headed have had lots of summer blooms. I have a variety of colors and have mixed with different varieties of daylilies, columbine, campanula, monkshood all of which just get better year after year.

• 19juju54
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone! Now I have so many beauties to choose from!

• oliveoyl3
    9 years ago

Lady's mantle is slug resistant as are hardy geraniums. Neither have large flowers, but a lot of blooms. Bigroot Geranium macro makes nice mounds & if you cut back hard after flowering about now, but before 4th of July you have nice foliage all summer long.

Look again at Monarda, bee balm. My Jacob Kline is vigorous in good soil & outgrows any slug damage once we have a dry spell in spring. In my part sun gardens the flowers are showing, but not yet blooming. Once they start they bloom until frost and the hummingbirds frequent them.

• 19juju54
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I ended up getting some Gaillardia Fanfare Blaze and am hoping they are slug resistant. It sounds like they are heavy bloomers and only a little shorter than I had hoped for...time will tell :) Thank you everyone for your responses and I now have a nice list if the blanket flower is a flop! Julie