Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Warty Bayberry lost its color

Posted by gramat 7B (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 12:15

Two years ago I purchased a beautiful flaming crimson and bronze barbery. Although the leaves were really thorny (like a holy) it was so gorgeous, I couldn't resist. So I put it in a container to be displayed on my patio during the fall. After that first fall, the leaves have never been that crimson/bronze color. It looks healthy enough though slow growing. It's just a thorny, dangerous plant. Does anyone know how I can get the color to come back. It's this plant's only redeeming quality.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Warty Bayberry lost its color

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 13, 09 at 14:06

Warty barberry is an evergreen shrub that sometimes turns partly reddish etc. The basic color is green. Yours may be getting a different light exposure or experiencing some other difference in conditions that is keeping it green only. Plant it out in the garden or give it to somebody and try something else in the pot.

o

I grew a whole hedge of this for several years; it got too big (4x4 feet even with regular pruning) so I removed the hedge. I think this plant would need a large container to do well for years. It does have a yellow, nicely scented bloom in spring.

Warty barberry is a fairly common commercial landscape plant in Portland and does reliably get a red speckled appearance in fall/winter, but I've never seen a showy one.

If you like a rich orange bloom in spring, consider the newer dwarfing Darwin barberry. It is not so coarsely thorny, and could do well in a pot long term.

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 12:13

What new dwarf Darwin barberry would that be? Are you thinking of its hybrid, B. x stenophylla? Dwarf forms of that are on the market. None of those I have seen here are new introductions.

B. darwinii is hardy to somewhere around 10 degrees F. I had damage on Camano Island this past winter.

o

It was new to me at the Canby grower's show in May 2008. My memory was that it was labeled as a dwarfing Darwin barberry. It was a dead ringer for the full-size, except for somewhat smaller foliage and the fact it was covered in blooms and well-branched while less than a foot tall.

But it is more likely to have been the 'Corallina Compacta' variety of B. x stenophylla as you mentioned, I just had darwinii on the brain then and now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here