Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What flowers for a Fourth of July border in Seattle?

Posted by PurplethumbedLes 9a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 12:15

My Shasta Daisies always bloom by July 4th and I want to give them some well-mannered red and blue flowering companions that bloom at the same time. I used to have a scarlet verbena and loved its contrast with the daisies and bluettes. But the bluettes are very invasive and must go.

What blue and red perennial flowers would you plant with daisies for a Fourth of July border?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What flowers for a Fourth of July border in Seattle?

It seems wrong to me to have purple "blue" flowers in 4th of July arrangements, and delphiniums will probably not be blooming yet for you then, so... are you able to grow meconopsis?

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 28, 12 at 13:47

When you visit the nursery you could ask what they have in stock and go from there.

I have all of these in bloom in our gardens except the balloon flower. A combination of them would be a lovely cottage look, but probably not a formal border except for the knockout rose.

red
Maltese Cross, Lychnis chalcedonica
knockout rose

blue shades (periwinkle, violet)
bellflowers, several types
Jacob's ladder
Platycodon grandiflorus, Balloon Flower
hardy geraniums

o

Some poppies do well in my yard. But I've not seen the blue ones growing around here anywhere. Perhaps it's too wet for them. I think I do want to bring back red verbena.

Good idea about dropping in on a nursery now. I've had to make a rule not to buy plants faster than I can set them in the ground. But I caught up with the backlog only yesterday and am feeling the urge to head to Flower World ... :)

o

I have some lovely blue salvia blooming right now, got it on the clearance table last fall without identifying information though so can't specify the variety. It is a true blue and quite dark in comparison to, say, the blue star creeper that is growing underneath it. Not sure if you could call it well-mannered though - it sprawls a bit!

o

I was admiring the blue salvia on someone's web page--an excellent suggestion. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here