Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rhododendron (orange)

Posted by westgate 8b Brit.Col. (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 12:21

Rhododendrons
I live on the Sunshine Coast in BC.... 8b or 9 zone.... and saw a magnificent rhodo covered in orange blooms. It was about 6 ft high and bushy. Can anyone suggest what variety it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rhododendron (orange)

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 12:46

No, there are too many orange ones around to name it just from that. 'Autumn Gold'? 'Fabia'? 'King of Shrubs'?

o

Perhaps a deciduous azalea. My screaming orange is blooming right now.

o

The American Rhododendron Society has a useful Web site (www.rhododendron.org) that lets you search for multiple parameters (color orange, late mid-season bloom, etc.), or you can just click through their A-Z list and see photos.

I especially like the section where various chapters of the society list their recommendations; I think there's a B.C. chapter. That might help you narrow the possibilities to one that does well in B.C.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Rhododendron Society

o

Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 0:18

If instead of an evergreen rhododendron a larger deciduous azalea, with large flowers then liable to be a Knaphill-Exbury hybrid. Many unselected seedlings of these have been sold and planted over the years, in addition to vegetatively propagated named forms.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 10, 11 at 11:08

Here's one of those deciduous orange un-named rhododendrons in my garden. Did it look like this?

Deciduous Azaleas

o

As b-boy said it could be the most famous/infamous of the K/E group called Gibraltar. This is one I rescued from another garden..........

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

Wow! I though I had found it in a book, "Giant Orange" an ilam hybrid.... but now I'm having second thoughts!

o

Wed, Jun 15, 11 at 0:04

There are a great many kinds of rhododendron and azalea hybrids. Not all of them encountered here have names but are instead unnamed seedlings. With highly popular types like these a given specimen might turn out to be one the homeowner or a previous occupant grew themselves from open-pollinated seeds. Particularly when the type of plant makes large, easily noticed pod-like fruits.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 17, 11 at 12:18

When I was working at a nursery in the 70s, I field planted 4,000 deciduous Azalea seedlings from one gallon pots once. Very few were culled. Unnamed seedlings are out there alright.
It was much easier to propagate them from seeds rather than cuttings. Most people are interested in the blossom color, rather than the variety, and buy them when they are blooming.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here