Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mole Damage & Repair

Posted by Ellen_Portland z8 OR (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 2, 05 at 13:07

Hi!,

I'm a first time homeowner with a good sized backyard that has extensive mole damage. It had been a rental for about 5 years so there are many tunnels that have left the lawn very uneven and I am hesitant to let my 5 year old or anyone else run around too much back there.

I'm a passionate gardener, but have only dealt with containers up 'till now- so I feel a bit overwhelmed, not to mention we have a very limited budget.

Any advice on non-toxic mole control-(evidently they are rampant here) and how to get our lawn back to being somewhat smooth would be greatly appreciated!! I really don't want to have to rototill the whole area and restart!

Thanks SO much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mole Damage & Repair

Oh, I thought you wanted to repair a damaged mole. ;-)

I have a friend that had moles digging up his yard and he bought a few of these electronic beeper units that apparent really annoy the moles. They make a "bee-dee-dee-deep" kind of sound to our ears. His yard is now free of moles.

We rototilled to even everything out and replanted the grass.

o

Ooops! ;-) Chalk one up to first time posting (grin) I REALLY want to know how to repair the lawn!! Thanks for the ideas!! The neighbors have a dog though, and I don't want to drive him batty?

o

My kids have never been injured running around on our moonscape. I don't think you can ever be mole free; if you get rid of one, another one moves in. When you see the mounds, you can spread out the soil so it doesn't leave a hump, but as far as the ground being lumpy from past tunneling, I think about the only thing you can do is till and rake it smooth, but you'd still get moles coming through. Maybe you could shave off the high points left by the mounds of soil they push up to smooth it out a little, but it could be a lot of work.
Some people kill off the grubs in the ground that they feed on, but they also feed on worms and I have no idea if the same product kills them also. I wouldn't want to kill off the worms.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here