Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oliveoyl3

vegetables bolting/slow growers

oliveoyl3
13 years ago

Anyone else having early bolting of vegetables? In our raised beds we have an assortment of vegetables all taller than usual and displaying signs of bolting...

swiss chard

red cabbage

savoy cabbage

kohlrabi (cut by 1/3 & ate the tops/leaves)

broccoli

onion, yellow and red (clipping some & pulling others)

Should I just pull them all & eat what leaves are tender? Blame it on erratic spring weather or ?

The potatoes & strawberries have done just fine with this weather along with rhubarb. Not sure what to do about the cucumbers that are just sitting there under their covers. Thinking about replanting & giving these plants to the chickens if they'll eat them.

Corrine

Comments (8)

• dottyinduncan
    13 years ago

I've had less bolting than usual with the cool spring. My cabbages are so pretty they could be entered in a fair!

• larry_gene
    13 years ago

I am intrigued by bolting broccoli being considered undesirable, as the "bolting" part is the part that's usually eaten. Using broccoli strictly for greens would make sense, as that part of the plant is massive compared to the florets.

• oliveoyl3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, broccoli should be forming heads, but what caught my attention is that the plants have all shot up so tall it appears that they're going to bolt. I shouldn't have included broccoli on the list. However, the cabbage isn't showing any signs of head producing, just tall plants.

The swiss chard is beautiful in it's tall crooked way, but so different than before. There are at least 6" between leaves and the stem leans this way & that. I'm sure I picked outer leaves from the young plants because I usually harvest this & that as soon as possible for the table. The plants are so bizarre looking that a friend thought I had a new vegetable type growing. These were direct sown Feb.16 in SFG.

Perhaps, it is all just because of the cool wet giving more growth early on.

Anyone know what's going on?

• pdxwindjammer
    13 years ago

Yes, I am experiencing exactly the same thing! I built and planted my 4x8 greens bed on fEb. 14th. Everything came up okay but my bok choi, spinach and mustard all bolted early. Grew very tall with inches between leaves. I ended up pulling it all up and planted more lettuce in its place. I did get several good meals from all of this before it bolted.

I think the erratic weather with warmth early on followed by WET and COLD just threw everything for a loop!

My lettuce is all doing very well and I am eating greens from it daily.

• hemnancy
    13 years ago

dottyinduncan, I've had a lot of trouble getting cabbages to head up. Can you give details on varieties, when planted, fertilizers?

I have been under the impression that some cole plants have to be planted after the summer solstice when days are getting shorter in order not to bolt. Collards, kale, and turnips for greens will overwinter for me if planted by July 15 to get big before frost, and one year I had lovely large bok choy planted in mid summer for a fall crop. There is also an overwintering variety of broccoli that is grown to flower in spring, Territorial carried it.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Yes, we had a bunch of lettuces bolt and my friend had broccoli and a bunch of other stuff bolt, we were just talking about it yesterday.

• dottyinduncan
    13 years ago

Hemnancy I bought starts and I don't remember the variety. I know they were "early". Planted them in good soil, spaced quite far apart, fertilized with a little 6-8-6 around May 1st. I think they liked the cool weather and I haven't even got much insect damage.

• oliveoyl3
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I finally found out why when I read Backyard Bounty by Linda Gilkeson. It's called vernalization and is caused by low temps in spring when old enough or big enough. She warns about large cabbage family transplants or ones held in the seedling packs too long as well as larger than a nickel onion sets. Smaller is better!

Here is a link that might be useful: specifics how to avoid bolting cabbages & onions