Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is my wisteria dying?

Posted by kanita8 Washington (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 13:50

Hi,

I am a new gardener. I bought a Japanese Wisteria and repotted it about 3 weeks ago (June, Seattle) into a larger container.

Immediately after repotting, the leaves started drying and turning yellow.

My local garden shop suggested I should use Superthrive. I've been using Superthrive for almost a week now and it doesn't seem to have made a difference.

Is saving it a lost cause? Any suggestions on what I can try to bring it back?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is my wisteria dying?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 14, 14 at 15:42

Looks like it got dried out at some point. Would be a lot easier to manage planted in the ground - except for the rampant growth these tend to produce once established.

o

You can only hope that's the case. They are horribly invasive garden thugs.

o

If the plant had lots of roots showing when removed from the original pot, and the whole mass was plunked into a larger container of soil of somewhat different composition and density, any applied water may be coursing through the new soil and going down the sides of the pot. Try to poke around and see if the root area is getting damp.

And have a few weeks' more patience, such a large transplant is bound to complain for a while.

o

Was the plant growing inside when you purchased it? It looks as if it might be adjusting to outside sun and previous lack of water.
In any case, I doubt you will kill it. It will recover, and if in the ground, ....with a vengeance.
Mike

o

They are horribly invasive garden thugs.

They may be in Mississippi but not here......rampant growth, yes, but that's to be expected from a large vine. They do produce some root shoots when well established and happy but nothing like another vine or two I could name :-))

Not really a great choice of vine for growing in a container or at least for long term container growth. As mentioned, would be much happier in the ground. Just provide a very sturdy support system.

o

When I bought the plant it was outside in the nursery.

When I repotted, I didn't cover the holes in the pot and had no tray so I remember hearing the water drip down the deck. Maybe that's why it dried up.

I am going to give it a little more time as Larry suggested and if it doesn't improve, I'll put it in the ground. I was originally concerned about it getting out of control (even if in Seattle, didn't want to risk it) but sounds like a non-issue.

Thanks everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here