Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to grow in shade?

Posted by lannij 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 13:58

hello all. i am a rookie landscaper just learning how to populate our yard, which is a mixture of sun and shade just a little under .25 acres and terraced on a hillside. i'm trying to plant an edible/useable landscape (ex: lavendar and blueberries), but there is one blank spot that has me flummoxed.

it's a flat terrace (approx 25' north/south x 15' east/west) on the shady side of our yard. it's bordered on the east by tall cedars and fir, on the south by tall firs, and on the west by a tall building, so the terrace gets virtually no sun. it is also the bottom terrace so it's very wet and grows an abundance of weeds.

i do not know what to do with this space. my local nursery suggests plants to just take up space, but i want the space to be productive, in some fashion. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

tia,
lanni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to grow in shade?

If you can improve drainage in the area, try native huckleberries. Both the evergreen (Vaccinium ovatum) and deciduous (Vaccinium parvifolium) are woodsy, shade plants. You could also grow ferns for fiddleheads - ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) and cinnamon or royal fern (Osmunda cinnemomea or O. regalis) produce edible shoots.

These will all be happy in moist - but not wet or saturated - soils.

o

Here's a post I created earlier this year on the same topic. I have a mostly shady yard and with a bunch of natives (mostly edibles like berries), and this post lists how well they can do in shade. You'll want to scroll down to the bottom for the updated list. Lots of good advice from others on that thread too.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/nwest/msg042059149808.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Shade thread

o

thank you to gardengal48 and mooserider for your very helpful suggestions! i knew someone on here would know what to do. i'm going with berry bushes (huckleberry and salmonberry with some ferns (love ferns). now i'm on the hunt for a nursery in my area (snohomish) that carries native plants.
thank you, again! lanni

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 4, 12 at 17:05

Attend the free plant swap called Green Elephant in Redmond 1st Sat of November & you might pick up some native berry shrubs. Info gets posted ahead of time on this forum or the Pacific Northwest Garden exchange.

Plus fall plantings don't need regular watering because it rains then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here