Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eightzoner

How were your lilacs this year?

eightzoner
12 years ago

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone's else's lilacs were a dud this year. I thought my Miss Kim did not bloom at all, but today I noticed one pathetic bloom.

Last year, I snipped off the dead blooms, but did no other pruning.

Do you think it's just because of our crappy weather this spring?

She is in full sun, and has been in that particular spot for four years -- bloomed nicely every year.

TIA,

Sheri

Comments (12)

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

My 'Miss Kim' had about a dozen blooms, very few. She is over a decade old and usually has at least a hundred.

• eightzoner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks BoS - better luck to us both next year!

• botann
    12 years ago

Mine has done just fine this year. In a pot for two years with homemade potting soil. It will be going in the ground soon.
    Mike
    {{gwi:1082202}}

• dawnbc
    12 years ago

My Miss Kim didn't bloom either. A couple of my summer ice daphnes aren't producing like they have in previous years .. they look lush and green though, just like Miss Kim.

Oh well, next year.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

My 'Miss Kim' normally looks like the photo above but was much sparser this year. Daphne 'Summer Ice' is also lush but not blooming though it had blooms earlier.

• laurell
    12 years ago

I have 4 normal lilacs and none of them gave me even one bloom. 3 blooms from "Miss Kim" this year.

• nwrose
    12 years ago

All three of my Miss Kims looked like the photo. The leaves look varigated, so my project today is to fert. I don't see any bugs so it must be something lacking in soil probably from winter leaching...my area is hilly with much water when the rains are heavy. I don't prune but dead head soon after bloom.
    Smiles,
    D...

• reg_pnw7
    12 years ago

Huh. I don't have any lilacs myself, but it seems to me that the neighborhood lilacs all did pretty well this year. All standard lilacs, not Miss Kim. Nothing was covered with bloom but most seemed to have a good show. I'm talking about well established shrubs in the ground.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

I saw numbers of lilac bushes being quite profuse also. Just not all of them. Variation in production between specimens occurs every year, same as with rhododendrons etc.

For whatever reasons various different kinds of trees and shrubs are being noticed with mottled or stippled new growth this year, asked about on the internet.

• nwrose
    12 years ago

bboy...will fert help rid the stippled leaves? Could it be too much acid in soil? I fight huck and salal-a good indicator of high acidic soil. I will put lime on but should I hit it with iron as well?
    My Hydraneas look the same, tho some died back to ground this year.
    Thanks for input.
    Smiles,
    D..

• hallerlake
    12 years ago

My old house came with old fashioned lilacs that were a mass of flowers this year.

• les1238
    12 years ago

I'm thrilled that I got 3 clusters of blooms this year. That's the first time since being brought home from the nursery that the lilac (Vulgaris) produced ANY blooms. A former housemate decided to plant it in a too shady corner of the yard, you see. Well the overhanging cedars were taken out 2 winters ago and I've been waiting and wondering if it was going to bloom again ever since!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting