Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hibiscus

Posted by Emma_Dark Oregon (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 15:25

I picked up a Cherie Hibiscus at home depot last night. i don't know to much about these plants. are they hardy here in the NW? any tips i should know when taking care of it?

Thanks
Emma

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hibiscus

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 4, 12 at 18:02

Can't tell by the cultivar name but liable to be an example of tropical hibiscus, these are frequently offered. What part of the store was it in? They put most of the tender stuff all together in the house plant section, although some locally inappropriate kinds appear in the outdoor area also. There are three basic types of Hibiscus that may be seen at such outlets, if you Google this list you should be able to tell where yours falls.

Hibiscus moscheutos - a more or less hardy perennial with large thin leaves and often jumbo flowers during late summer
H. rosa-sinensis - a tropical evergreen shrub grown indoors here; many different kinds in a range of colors
H. syriacus - a hardy deciduous shrub that opens its small leaves late in the spring and flowers in summer

Otherwise there are a few tender annual types that might be stocked sometimes, I suppose

o

'Cherie' is the cultivar name of a tropical hibiscus (H. rosa-sinensis). Not winter hardy here, although can be grown outdoors during the summer months. If grown as a houseplant, watch for spider mites and white flies, both of which seem to love tropical hibiscus. Best treated with a bloom boosting fertilizer during the flower season (now through October) - weekly weakly (half strength) with any liquid fertilizer is recommended.

o

I grew a Cherie Hibiscus in a large pot last summer, did great! I used to live in Southern California and really miss hibiscus so I took a shot at it. I figured the cool nights (even in summer) here in Puyallup would make it unhappy but it bloomed for me all summer (I deadheaded and fertilized it) into fall but like others are saying treat it as an annual for all intensive purposes. I haven't seen one yet this year but if I do I'll give it another go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here