Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plan9fromposhmadison

I've mixed my Boxwoods! Help!

Bargain hound that I am, I snapped up a lot of marked-down Boxwoods for my Rose Garden. Saved a fortune, and the plants look obscenely healthy....but I planted a mixture of 'Green Mountain' and 'Green Velvet'. Just realized it this morning, and am having a "why was I born" moment, just now.

The Rose Garden is on our former Tennis Court, and so we're talking abut HUNDREDS of plants. The labels were removed and filed, as the plants came out of the drenching area (we let them have a good drink, to become maximally hydrated, overnight, before planting), and were being wheeled to the planting beds. We snapped these up from a big box retailer, and so can't blame anybody but ourselves....OK...blame ME.

The plants look identical, right now. But Spring Green is not their year-round hue, and I'm wondering if I haven't just planted a bloody mess: maybe dark green and bright green.

Too, 'Green Velvet' supposedly has a rounded, flattish, mounding habit, while 'Green Mountain' has an 'unique' columnar/pyramidal/tall growth habit. Ours will be clipped, of course, and so natural shape will be less relevant than if they were left to their own devices.

Our best friends and we moved out here at the same time. Both sold at top-dollar in booming Madison, Mississippi, and grabbed undervalued estate homes out here. Both houses had Tennis courts. I led the charge, to have them removed, so that we could have Rose gardens. I designed my friends', but pros installed it. But just had to be Mrs. Thrifty, and do it myself, for ours (Best Friend is feeding her family for a dollar a day, each, and snapping up undervalued stocks with the savings...I just had to be competitive...and I've always taken pride in skillfully delegating in my businesses, but doing my own labour at home...).

So guys, what do you think? I have no idea which is which. We COULD insinuate these Boxwoods into the Saturation Planting in front of the Inner Perimeter fencing. Or to the planting in front of the streetside Outer Perimeter. Neither place will be clipped, and the shrubs' apparently outstanding (but contrasting) growth habits could shine.

Or, I can just take my lumps, and see what happens. Seems trivial to agonize over Boxwood growth habits, as our world teeters at the edge of Anarchy and Genocide. I remind myself of Marie Antoinette delaying her flight from the mobs, because she couldn't decide which color leather should be used to line the picnic baskets. You can lose your head over such a thing....

Comments (3)