Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Not true love but False Lily of the Valley

Posted by nwkrys z8 OR (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 15:39

How fickle our love for a plant can be.

I have a small yard at the beach whose yard was an overgrown jumble when we bought it. I have spent the last several years pulling ivy and buttercups. I have been able to thin out the bluebells to a managable level but just these past two years I am suddenly overrun with False Lily of the Valley. I used to think it was lovely but it is so invasive and by late summer it's a dried up scraggly mess. It's in the grass and chokes out the sweet peas I used to be able to tuck in amongst the shrubs. I know for some gardens, it's a lovely ground cover but it's not working here.

I'm not necessarily looking for eradication but I do need to know the best way to control it.

Any suggestions or similar stories would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Not true love but False Lily of the Valley

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 12:08

I have a small patch in my woodland gardens in the backyard where little else grows due to large fir trees and acidic soil. It doesn't spread much there.

Possible ideas to help you:
dig a trench & install edging
hand remove as much of it as you can out of the lawn before it goes dormant in summer
layer over lawn with cardboard, compost & replant in Sept
(I'm not sure if that will prevent it from emerging back through the cardboard in spring when decomposed.

When removing try to get the root.
Use a strong tool to help you: screwdriver, weeder tool with a little fork on the end, metal trowel. I have a diggit tool that really grips the roots when prying them out, so is worth the $.

Here is a link that might be useful: diggit tools

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here