Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eightzoner

Euphorbia cyparissias - invasive?

eightzoner
12 years ago

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience growing Cypress Euphorbia (Euphorbia cyparissias 'Fens Ruby' specifically) in our region?

Do I need to worry about it being invasive?

Thanks for any info.

Sheri

Comments (7)

• botann
    12 years ago

Gardengal, which ones would you plant?
    I've seen some very striking ones. Usually the larger varieties.
    Mike

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

LOL! Mike, I've tried them all at one time or another. But I do have my preferences.

The ones most commonly planted, at least in older urban/suburban gardens, are varieties of E. characias, usually the subspecies wulfenii. This can get huge, blooms early and has massive big flowerheads in that striking acid green/yellow color. Fully evergreen, it can self-seed a bit but seldom to the point of being a nuisance. There are various cultivars that offer some unique features, either compact size, variegated foliage or some unusual coloring in either foliage or flower color (the actual flowers are tiny, located in the center of the chartreuse bracts, often yellow-green themselves but infrequently a reddish maroon color).

Personally, I think it's hard to beat any of the x martinii hybrids. These are crosses of E. characias and amygdaloides and often feature the best characteristics of both species. Smaller, compact plants, evergreen, sterile (usually) and offering a wide range of coloring. And because of the amygdaloides parentage, are more tolerant of shady conditions than characias. These also make excellent container plants.

I also like some of the deciduous/herbaceous species - E. griffithii (spreads but moderately so and with stunning orange coloring to the bracts), honey spurge (E. mellifera), E. sikkimensis, E. wallichii. These often offer distinctly defined midribs on the leaves and variable stem or leaf coloring. These last few are not always hardy in our wet climate, hard to locate and may appeal mostly to collectors.

One of the most useful ephorbs is E. robbiae. Quite hardy, very evergreen and very tolerant of dry shade. It can spread rather aggressively if it likes the conditions, but as a groundcover for dry, dark shade - like under conifers or decks, etc. - it is hard to beat. And I've not found removal of excess plants difficult.

Ones that I would not grow again are the cypress spurge of this post, E. amygdaloides (prone to powdery mildew), E. dulcis 'Chameleon' (an incredible pest!) or E. seguieriana, which just looks messy most of the time. I also have reservations about planting donkey tail spurge or E. myrsinites - it is considered invasive in some areas of the state (Class C noxious weed) and many nurseries no longer carry it. But it does look good in a rock garden situation or in a container with various succulent plants, which it suits in appearance. E. rigida may be a better choice with a similar appearance.

• harleylady
    12 years ago

I did battle with 'Fens Ruby' at a previous garden--never again! It shouldn't be sold without a warning label, IMO. I'm really loving the brilliant Euphorbia 'Tasmanian Tiger' which really lights up the garden. Also am quite taken with Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow' which has brightly colored variegated foliage but the bracts are just as--if not more--stunning, both in color and pattern, kind of a whorl around the stem. This is the second year for them in the garden and they are growing moderately but not alarmingly. Time will tell.

• eightzoner
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the warning, guys. I guess this one will have to go back.

Sheri

• botann
    12 years ago

Thanks Gardengal. I copied for reference.
    Thank you Harleylady. Ditto.
    Mike

• martibelcher
    3 years ago

THANX. I THInK THEY WILL go in a container....