Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
queen cox apple tree

Posted by klew Z7b/8, NE PDX (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 10, 09 at 15:56

Last year I planted a Queen Cox (self-fertile version of the Cox) on a dwarf rootstock.

This year it is very happy, lots of leaves, very healthy looking with good growth pattern...but it never bloomed.

Someone commented that Cox apple trees only bloom every other year. Can this be true? I've looked at a lot of reference sites and have seen no mention of this.

Thanks, as always, for help & advice.

klew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: queen cox apple tree

We have an old Cox apple tree and it blooms every year. Unfortunately, it has disease and is not setting much fruit. This year it was cold and wet when it was in bloom so virtually no fruit set. I love Cox's Orange Pippin apples though.

o

mine blooms most years, but not always. be patient. it is well worth the wait

o

I have a Queen Cox on dwarf rootstock. It bloomed its second year. They dont' always bloom that early and some people consider precocious blooming to be undesirable, thinking it limits future growth. I dunno.

Sometimes fruit trees don't bloom when young because they're growing too fast, especially if they're being pushed with fertilizer. It should bloom when it's ready. Your saying it has 'lots of leaves' leads me to believe that it may be simply growing too fast right now. If you're fertilizing it try cutting back. Once a year should be enough. An orchardist friend once told me that people with backyard fruit trees really should just leave the trees alone, they don't need nearly the feeding and watering that people give them.

Most apples bloom and fruit every year but they alternate large crops with small ones. One year lots of apples, the next year few. Most fruit and nut trees do this, it helps to keep populations of fruit and nut eating insects in check because they don't get enough to eat in lean crop years and then there aren't enough of them to get all the crop in the heavy crop (mast) years. It also leads people to think that the trees only bear every other year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here