Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ceanothus transplant?

Posted by mo13 8 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 16:27

I have a ceanothus (victoria, I think - of course, I dont have the tag anymore!) that I just realized will get too big for the spot its in. I bought it last year from Flower world in a 1 gallon pot. Can I move it to a different spot this year? If yes, what time of year should I move it?

I have read established ones dont like to be moved - is a 1 year old considered established?

Any help is much appreciated.
Mo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ceanothus transplant?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 17:13

Try it during the winter, or some other time when the top is completely firm. If you dig it when there is tender new growth that will probably wilt and shrivel.

Plant sold under this name is probably actually one called 'Skylark'.

o

Thanks bboy.

Is it really 'Skylark'? If it is, thats wonderful news for me, according to what I read online, skylark is more compact than Victoria.

How can I tell the difference between skylark and victoria, if at all?

Mo

o

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 20:41

They look the same and the Timber Press book CEANOTHUS says it is suspected that 'Victoria' and 'Skylark' are the same introduction. Without more information nobody may ever be able to establish with certainty that they are not two separate introductions that look alike. However, based on how it is put in CEANOTHUS and what I have seen sold under both names I'm inclined to use the name 'Skylark', the assumption being that 'Victoria' is a re-naming of a plant first grown as 'Skylark'.

Some cultivars have acquired multiple synonyms over the years, as though myriad attempts have been made by commercial interests to appropriate them for their own use.

In other cases it will not have been known that a plant already had a cultivar name.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here