Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mo13_gw

Ceanothus transplant?

mo13
14 years ago

I have a ceanothus (victoria, I think - of course, I dont have the tag anymore!) that I just realized will get too big for the spot its in. I bought it last year from Flower world in a 1 gallon pot. Can I move it to a different spot this year? If yes, what time of year should I move it?

I have read established ones dont like to be moved - is a 1 year old considered established?

Any help is much appreciated.

Mo

Comments (3)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Try it during the winter, or some other time when the top is completely firm. If you dig it when there is tender new growth that will probably wilt and shrivel.

Plant sold under this name is probably actually one called 'Skylark'.

• mo13
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks bboy.

Is it really 'Skylark'? If it is, thats wonderful news for me, according to what I read online, skylark is more compact than Victoria.

How can I tell the difference between skylark and victoria, if at all?

Mo

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

They look the same and the Timber Press book CEANOTHUS says it is suspected that 'Victoria' and 'Skylark' are the same introduction. Without more information nobody may ever be able to establish with certainty that they are not two separate introductions that look alike. However, based on how it is put in CEANOTHUS and what I have seen sold under both names I'm inclined to use the name 'Skylark', the assumption being that 'Victoria' is a re-naming of a plant first grown as 'Skylark'.

Some cultivars have acquired multiple synonyms over the years, as though myriad attempts have been made by commercial interests to appropriate them for their own use.

In other cases it will not have been known that a plant already had a cultivar name.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH