Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs eating the basil

Posted by leena1947 7a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 16:37

I have now sewn my basil twice in a two-foot high garden box, but as soon as the seeds germinate and the plants are about one inch tall they disappear over night. Gardeners here tell me the "potato bugs" are eating them. What are they and how can I get rid of them? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs eating the basil

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 11:07

Sow bug, pill bug, as kids we called them potato bugs but I don't remember why.

The best way to find out what is damaging your seedlings is to go out at night and look for yourself, then you aren't guessing at what to control. Take a flashlight, make your first trip right about dusk - you may have to go more than once.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sow bug (sometimes aka potato bug)

o
RE: Bugs eating the basil

Thank you, Morz8, for your advice. Thank you also for the link which is very helpful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here