Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

eating out of your garden

kam76
15 years ago

How many of you get the majority of your produce out of your garden? With canning and freezing I hope to some day get the majority of our produce from our garden. If you do eat mostly from your garden how big is it and how many people do you feed? I am just trying to plan for space when we re-do our landscape so I have enough room. We have two adults and one child in our family.

Comments (3)

• sinfonian
    15 years ago

I'd say we currently get the "majority" of our produce from our garden, though right now that consists of greens (lettuces and spinach) and radishes. I currently buy tomatoes and carrots to make salads because mine are not ready yet. Soon we'll add peas, onions and carrots, likely followed by beans and tomatoes. Then hopefully will come cauliflower and broccoli and finally the corn and potatoes! All grown in 130 SF for a family of 4 (two adults and two young kids) with hopefully enough to freeze and/or otherwise preserve.

This being my first year I have no idea how much I'll get, but hopefully we'll have enough to push that number from 50% to upwards of 75% year round. That said I could likely do it in closer to 100 SF, and even then the corn takes up tons of space.

Hope that helps, check out my site (when it's back up) if you want to see pictures, layout etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sinfonian's Garden Adventure!

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Use plastic tunnels to extend season.

• oliveoyl3
    11 years ago

We just grow just some of what eat, but each year we get better at growing to harvest, planting in succession, & balancing what we grow so we don't have too much of any one thing. We try new things that sometimes grow too well like chard a few years ago & currently kale because we let it self sow. This year we're growing more carrots, potatoes & onions.

We preserve more some years than others. It's easy to eat what's fresh & a bit more work to preserve. I'd rather be outside during our July & August weather than inside preserving, so I do the quick & easy freezer stuffing for later canning or eating. Frozen slices of peppers take little freezer space & when thrown in to recipes at the very end taste like fresh.

We eat a lot from the garden, but we don't have enough sunshine or space to grow everything we eat.

Anything we can to do simplify the process, so we're not tied to the garden so much especially once the summer drought hits. Finger poking soils & using mulch & soaker hoses helps.

Also summer lettuces grow better in part shade instead of spring positions in sun. If we run out of space in the summer garden I don't fuss because I want to leave space for fall/winter crops when the produce is priced high in the stores. We can eat from it all winter, but I still purchase from the store.