Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toad_ca

You know you're a garden geek when you

toad_ca
12 years ago

You know you're a garden geek (or freak) when you fly out of the front door in your nightie because you just saw a slug on your new plant! I know, I know, the next step would be sans nightie.

But, honestly, this slug weather stopped being amusing some time ago!

Comments (10)

• tophers
    12 years ago

I hear you. I have been chasing squirrels out of my potted plants on my deck...and a couple of times, I realized I was half-dressed and set off the alarm in the house to do so.

I'm sure that, to the neighbors, I'm "that guy..." :)

About the weather, I moved here 14 years ago from Albuquerque...grew up in NM and I got tired of the heat and too-much sun...and I still LOVE the rain...but even I am growing weary of the rainy/cool weather.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I miss the sun of Phoenix where I grew up desperately and I've been back to Portland for twenty six years!q

I wander my yard with a camera in my nightie all the time but it is a tee shirt dress not a slinky see thru....;)

• toad_ca
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great to know I'm not the only one scaring the neighbors and the livestock!
    I do love the overcast and rain, but so do the slugs, and I'd like to see my new plants flower at least once before succumbing to a slimy death.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

You'll know your attire is too slight when you see a camera also being held in the yard next door, and it's pointed at you.

I'm not sure protecting your investment from being lost to slugs constitutes geekiness. I once lost a blue poppywort overnight, while it was still in the recently plopped pot. Some kinds of plants I wonder how anyone can keep them going here at all, they are such slug magnets.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    12 years ago

Invest in a large jar of Sluggo :-) It may not eliminate the problem but will certainly help. Will need to be reapplied freqently, especially if we continue to receive a lot of rain.

Always thought slugs were the big issue around here until I moved to a semirural and pretty wooded location and determined it was really snails that were the serious pests. They get places no slugs can get to easily and they can eat everything, including more heavily textured evergreen foliage that most slugs leave alone. Very rewarding to squash them, however, if a bit messy :-)

• briergardener_gw
    12 years ago

Oh, slugs and desire to save plants...
    The very first thing early in the morning (6:00) is hunting slugs. I put rhubarb and cabbage leaves next to my plants and then in morning collect dining guests.
    Some seedlings i protect with copper collars. I got on garage sale old copper pipes, flatten them with a hammer, cut in pieces and made collars to put on soil around seedlings. Helps.

• knotz
    12 years ago

I'm with you about running outside!!..Doesn't surprise my neighbors anymore...One of my neighbors is just like me so we totally understand each other..lol...Sluggo is great unless you have a little doggie that likes to "eat" it!!...I'm still working on that problem...Even if she doesn't see me put it out, she still finds it...Thought I had the fence slats tied off, but she still manages to get through...Dang her...lol...I just keep a REAL close eye on her and tell my hubby DON'T give her any cheese...She's already getting enough iron!!

knotz

• laurell
    12 years ago

My goodness, I didn't even think of copper! I have a few feet of thick copper wire. The slugs are murder on my dahlias even with sluggo!

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

I have a big jug of Sluggo and use it religiously...

• harborrose_pnw
    12 years ago

Has anyone used copper pennies as a slug deterrent? I haven't tried it yet but plan to.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?