Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
You know you're a garden geek when you

Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham, WA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 1, 11 at 17:00

You know you're a garden geek (or freak) when you fly out of the front door in your nightie because you just saw a slug on your new plant! I know, I know, the next step would be sans nightie.

But, honestly, this slug weather stopped being amusing some time ago!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: You know you're a garden geek when you

• Posted by tophers Z8 - Portland OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 11:37

I hear you. I have been chasing squirrels out of my potted plants on my deck...and a couple of times, I realized I was half-dressed and set off the alarm in the house to do so.

I'm sure that, to the neighbors, I'm "that guy..." :)

About the weather, I moved here 14 years ago from Albuquerque...grew up in NM and I got tired of the heat and too-much sun...and I still LOVE the rain...but even I am growing weary of the rainy/cool weather.

o

I miss the sun of Phoenix where I grew up desperately and I've been back to Portland for twenty six years!q

I wander my yard with a camera in my nightie all the time but it is a tee shirt dress not a slinky see thru....;)

o

• Posted by toad_ca z7b Bellingham WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 16:34

Great to know I'm not the only one scaring the neighbors and the livestock!
I do love the overcast and rain, but so do the slugs, and I'd like to see my new plants flower at least once before succumbing to a slimy death.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 2, 11 at 22:03

You'll know your attire is too slight when you see a camera also being held in the yard next door, and it's pointed at you.

I'm not sure protecting your investment from being lost to slugs constitutes geekiness. I once lost a blue poppywort overnight, while it was still in the recently plopped pot. Some kinds of plants I wonder how anyone can keep them going here at all, they are such slug magnets.

o

Invest in a large jar of Sluggo :-) It may not eliminate the problem but will certainly help. Will need to be reapplied freqently, especially if we continue to receive a lot of rain.

Always thought slugs were the big issue around here until I moved to a semirural and pretty wooded location and determined it was really snails that were the serious pests. They get places no slugs can get to easily and they can eat everything, including more heavily textured evergreen foliage that most slugs leave alone. Very rewarding to squash them, however, if a bit messy :-)

o

Oh, slugs and desire to save plants...
The very first thing early in the morning (6:00) is hunting slugs. I put rhubarb and cabbage leaves next to my plants and then in morning collect dining guests.
Some seedlings i protect with copper collars. I got on garage sale old copper pipes, flatten them with a hammer, cut in pieces and made collars to put on soil around seedlings. Helps.

o

• Posted by knotz 8/PNW SWWA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 5, 11 at 23:05

I'm with you about running outside!!..Doesn't surprise my neighbors anymore...One of my neighbors is just like me so we totally understand each other..lol...Sluggo is great unless you have a little doggie that likes to "eat" it!!...I'm still working on that problem...Even if she doesn't see me put it out, she still finds it...Thought I had the fence slats tied off, but she still manages to get through...Dang her...lol...I just keep a REAL close eye on her and tell my hubby DON'T give her any cheese...She's already getting enough iron!!

knotz

o

My goodness, I didn't even think of copper! I have a few feet of thick copper wire. The slugs are murder on my dahlias even with sluggo!

o

I have a big jug of Sluggo and use it religiously...

o

Has anyone used copper pennies as a slug deterrent? I haven't tried it yet but plan to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here