Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billyet

best fruits and berries for portland or

billyet
14 years ago

I have just moved to Portland and hope to be able to start a garden soon.

I would like recommendations for the best varieties of fruits to try here: peaches, plums, asian pear, figs, thornless blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, blueberries.

thanks

Billye

Comments (6)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

For more on this topic...

Here is a link that might be useful: Extension Service Publications and Multimedia Catalog

• larry_gene
    14 years ago

Blackberries: Triple Crown thornless are superior for fresh eating.

Note that the famous local "Marionberry" is a thorny variety.

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

I've lived here for 15 years, this is just my personal viewpoint. I have a no-spray garden, and encourage predatory insects like wasps, ladybugs, etc. by planting a wide range of ornamental and fruiting plants.

Apple- Liberty, Freedom, Spitzenberg, William's Pride (early apple that has much less codling moth damage in my yard).

Plums, peaches- lost quite a few which declined over several years and died, no longer planting stone fruits. That said, Methley is wonderful used to have lots of fruit, and seems to be recovering to have a bumper crop this year after a few years with very little fruit.

Blueberries- plant a range of early, mid and late for longer harvest. I also like evergreen varieties for pretty fall color and Sunshine Blue, Legacy, and Misty bear well

Raspberries- Chilliwack

Aronia Viking- very fruitful, no pests, berries all ripen at the same time in easy to pick clusters

Paw Paws- took 7-8 years for seedling ones from Burnt Ridge to bear. Tropical taste and texture

Mulberries- Illinois Everbearing, Weeping

Pears- few pests, usually good yields

• billyet
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you all, people here are so helpful
    --bboy, I spent last evening reading those Extension Service pamphlets, and I can't wait to get my house and start the most important work, which is the garden, of course.
    Meanwhile, keep those cards and letters coming in, I'd like to know any varieties of fruit which you specially like.
    Also any tips, what to do about cats, has anyone used an ultrasound cat repeller? (they are using the yard as litterbox)
    Thanks for advice.
    Billye

• albertine
    14 years ago

Regarding cats - they like nice soft stuff like fine compost to dig in. I find that laying down unhospitable ground covers on top of the soft stuff helps a lot. I haven't tried filbert shells, but they might work. If you have anything thorny that needs pruning, try laying those down in problem areas. Not the most attractive, but perhaps better than cat droppings.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

I like the 'Akane' and 'Melrose' apples. 'Idared' has been the most long-lasting on the trees on Camano Island. Apple trees and blueberry bushes are your best bets here. Birds may need to be kept off of both at harvest time.

Try mulching with cobbles in dry dusty areas cats frequent. The problem is that such places are like litter boxes, the less like a litter box the less attractive to them. Covered with cobbles they can't even get at the soil there, whether it remains dry and dusty or not.