Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is Clematis tangutica a THUG in our area?

Posted by sweetpea_path Z8 WA maritime (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 18:03

I bought a gorgeous Clematis tangutica 'Golden Tiara' and had the planting spot all picked out - until a friend showed up and warned me to be v-e-r-y careful of this plant. She told me it could be a real thug! My inclination is that maybe it could become a thug in hotter parts of the west...say, CA or AZ...but not so much here...

So what say you folks??? I was thinking of putting it right next to a purple-leaved grape so that both could climb up & across a patio pergola.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is Clematis tangutica a THUG in our area?

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 23, 09 at 18:49

Depending on how both do in the spot vigor of clematis will probably be a little greater than that of the grape. Usually when you put two climbers together you have to do a little editing in order to maintain harmony anyway.

There are other clematis planted here that grow much larger than this one. Maybe their idea of a thug is anything more vigorous than 'Jackmanii'.

o

I'm going to rip out one of mine. I'm very happy with 'Helios' but 'Bill MacKenzie' is growing really wide and in every direction but up the tree where I want it to go. It must have thirty vines going off in thirty directions and when I try to direct them to where I want them they break off.

I'm not sure it was properly labeled since it is blooming sooner and growing shorter than it is supposed to but it is a tangutica for sure.

If anyone in the area wants it, come and get it....

o

I've got one and it's a rampant grower, needs vigorous pruning. I made the mistake of not cutting mine back for two years. The third spring I cut it back to the ground, a whole truckload to the landfill. It's up and growing like gangbusters once again, I will be cutting it back every spring from now on.

o

I have 3 tangutica varieties, and they have all been well behaved. I have them growing near large trees so they have a lot of root competition. The poor growing conditions may keep the size down. I have never had any seedlings either.

o

Mine grew very large--too large for my taste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here