Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID a few random shrubs

Posted by ian_wa Sequim (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 11, 10 at 19:10

I took cuttings of a few shrubs in the Seattle area that didn't have labels, and now I'd like to know what they are. Actually I think I know what some of them are but I'm not totally certain of the species. They're not exceptionally rare plants but I just haven't seen them in nurseries lately so I thought I would post pics of them here. Thanks for any help identifying them.

Viburnum. some large growing kind

Berberis. Sorry for the quality on this one.

Flower of the preceding

Hebe

Genista

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID a few random shrubs

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 12, 10 at 11:29

First looks like Viburnum propinquum. With all the spines I wonder if the last might be Ulex - a nuisance plant in this region.

o

What about viburnum cylindricum as a possiblilty?

o

The Viburnum might also be cinnamomifolium. For the Berberis, check out the pictures at Forestfarm.com. Maybe stenophylla nana?

Here is a link that might be useful: Berberis X stenophylla 'Nana'

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 16, 10 at 13:07

That Viburnum has a big, broad prominently veined leaf, like that of V. davidii (but appearing broader relative to its length.) In fact, it is sometimes sold as that species by mistake. V. cylindricum also produces large leaves, although more flat, flabby and tie-like, without its venation being such a feature. Plants seen here have also tended to produce leaves with a grayish cast, although this appears to be variable. It is on the tender side, I grew it about yard high before it froze out on Camano Island. There was a large, persisting one in a Bellevue garden that is probably still present.

Although seen as a low mound when present in local outlets, V. propinquum has been known to make tall plants on the University of Washington campus. The Lynwood Fred Meyer also has an eye-level planting of V. davidii; it grew nearly as tall or nearly so at my house near Seattle some years ago. I took this planting out, as it had become too much for a narrowish foundation bed.

V. cinnamomifolium soon forms a pointed top and grows tall, rather than mounding up over a long period of time. One here on Camano is already becoming pointed after only a few years (and at less than a few feet in height).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here