Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mooserider

Identification Fun!!

mooserider
11 years ago

So, I recently ripped out my lawn and replaced it with mostly native stuff. However, during the craziness of all this, I lost track of which plants are which in some cases.

All of the plants come from three sources (I'm in Capitol Hill in Seattle FYI): the fall northwest native plant sale (some of which are from seed), a private nursery in Renton that I happened upon, and from the Northfork river area of Northbend (I go out there to get free berry plants, ferns, bleeding heart, etc.).

Please let me know if you know what any of this is for sure:

FYI, I can't embed the images, as flikr won't allow it and they're way too high rez to do so anyhow

#1 - I *think* this is a sumac, though the leaves are different from anything I can find on google, and it's not like the leaves of a longhorn sumac:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68789281@N08/7359427206/sizes/k/in/photostream/

#2 - I sure thought this was thimbleberry when I dug it up, but I'm not 100% sure:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68789281@N08/7174204195/sizes/k/in/photostream/

#3 - Unknown flower I grew from seed. I have a ton of these, but the sticker got ruined in the rain over winter. Got the seeds from the NWNPS:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68789281@N08/7359429632/sizes/k/in/photostream/

#4 - Not a clue. I think I got this in northbend? Fireweed maybe? Who knows!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68789281@N08/7174193957/sizes/k/in/photostream/

#5 - No clue what this is. The lower most plant in the image (above is (I think) clustered bellflower and false lily of the valley). But the bottom plant was a hitchiker... I hope that's not poison oak:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68789281@N08/7174190919/sizes/k/in/photostream/

#6 - This came with the house. Some kind of oak?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68789281@N08/7174188053/sizes/k/in/photostream/

#7 - Came with the house... not a clue:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68789281@N08/7174185845/sizes/k/in/photostream/

#8 - Came with the house... some kind of rose, just not sure what kind:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68789281@N08/7174184055/sizes/k/in/photostream/

#9 - Woodland or coastal strawberry? I have both from the NWNPS, but can't tell them apart. I have about 5 of each plant. Only one is pictured here. It has sent out about 10 feet of runners in the last 2 weeks!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68789281@N08/7174209671/sizes/k/in/photostream/

I'm thinking of ripping out 6, 7, and 8, as I only kept them while re-landscaping because I felt bad for them. They're likely all non-native.

Thank you for any help you can provide!!!

Comments (19)

• Wayne Reibold
    11 years ago

#3 looks like Lupine
    #7 looks like Forsythia

• mooserider
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much wynswrld98! I hope that is lupine, as it's pretty and I do remember that name from the seeds I bought.

The other one, forsythia... I looked that up and I really don't think that's it. I would remember those vivid yellow flowers. Or it might be that I don't ever remember that plant bloombing at all. Maybe it hasn't had the chance to (it's very shaded where it's at)

Thanks again! Going to check more on that lupine and see if I can find any young examples to compare it to.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

#2 looks like thimbleberry--the clincher is large white flowers. Your plant looks like it has bloom buds. All guides say leaves are maple-like. I prefer grape-like.
    #4 looks fireweed-y.

• tanowicki
    11 years ago

#6 looks like a vine maple? Maybe? I have one about the same size at home and will look closer at it.

• Wayne Reibold
    11 years ago

Yeah Forsythia would rarely bloom in the shade, they want full sun, but the plant sure looks like a Forsythia to me. If you have the space somewhere in full sun I'd recommend moving it there, they're beautiful flowering in early spring before hardly anything else is even thinking about flowering (except perhaps daffodils).

• tanowicki
    11 years ago

After looking at my vine maple at home, I no longer think #4 is one. I don't think it's an oak either.

• plantknitter
    11 years ago

You may know better once you see some flowers, but here are a few guesses.
    1. tiger eye sumac
    2. thimbleberry
    4 could be an Erigeron
    5. could be water leaf--Hydrophyllum tenuipes?
    6 Viburnum trilobum?
    7. get a clear in focus picture of the stem to verify Forsythia
    9. not likely coastal--would have shiny evergreen leaves

• reg_pnw7
    11 years ago

1 not native
    2 some other kind of rubus, not thimbleberry
    3 lupine
    4 pearly everlasting
    5 waterleaf
    6 looks like a nonnative viburnum like snowball bush maybe, you'll need flowers.
    7 forsythia
    8 nonnative rose, you'll need flowers.
    9 woodland strawberry, not coastal.

BTW you do know that it is illegal to dig up plants from public lands. You need the property owner's permission to dig up plants from private lands.

• mooserider
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just wow, you guys are amazing! I just ran through most of the images you guys sent. Pretty much spot on! I'll follow up once I have more chance to research and such... but for now, THANK YOU!

• plantknitter
    11 years ago

for# 2 try Ribes bracteosum--the leaves will be fairly shiny and with a hand lens you'll see orange glands on the underside, crushed leaves have a medicinal scent.

I don't see white tomentose underside of the leaves in your pic of #4....are they?

• mooserider
    Original Author
    11 years ago

reg_pnw7, I didn't notice your comment last night. Yes, I do know it's illegal w/o permission. It's also technically illegal even on public land (like national forests). And I could understand that if everyone was out digging up the forests. But how many people do you know that drive 50 miles to dig up 5 or 6 plants, and with the intent of propagating more native species in Seattle, where the area was raped of its forests to begin with.

I don't personally have any issue with what I'm doing, and I wish more people would do the same, rather than have nothing but grass for a yard. If I thought I would be hurting anything, I could knock on almost anyone's door in Northbend and I'm sure they would have little issue with me taking a few salmonberry plants.

But I appreciate the warning, and I do know it's illegal.

I'm curious why you said #2 isn't thimbleberry. I thought it was originally, but I started getting doubts when I saw the reddish tint around the edges of the leaves... any idea what it might be, if not thimbleberry?

• plantknitter
    11 years ago

(RE:... any idea what it might be, if not thimbleberry?)

Was not my post there on how to check if it is Ribes bracteosum?

Judy

• mooserider
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Indeed it was! Didn't see it until after I posted.

That does look a lot like it... a type of currant. Supposedly native to coastal northwest america. 'Stink currant'. Very cool, thanks Judy! I'll be able to look more closely after work today, but I bet you're right!

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    11 years ago

harvesting plants without a permit is wrong, i would put it up there with speeding.

if you want to go legit, its all of fiddy cents a plant:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/oka/passes/misc-products.shtml

• reg_pnw7
    11 years ago

Mooserider, I understand your reasonings and don't disagree completely. But, I work in ecological restoration. I am the one out there in these damaged abused public lands trying to restore them. The last thing we need (after ATVs and bulldozers and all that) is someone coming out and digging up plants that they think won't matter to anyone. You have no idea what research or restoration efforts might be going on and how your actions might be affecting that.

You're removing food and shelter and erosion control and genetic diversity when you dig up plants to take home, even when they're not part of a restoration effort. Other critters are using those plants for something. Just because Seattle's been stripped, doesn't justify stripping other places to re-landscape Seattle.

I've seen people pick flowers from rare plants. I've seen people cut trails (with a chainsaw!) through vegetative cover monitoring research plots. I see people let kids and dogs trample and dig and chase wildlife in reserves and parks. I've seen where our plants have been pulled up and removed after a big planting effort. People think, 'oh no one will care', but I care. And what about the animals and other plants that live there? they care too.

The native plant nurseries propagate native plants by cuttings and divisions and seed and such, they don't go out and dig stuff up except for salvage efforts where land is going to be bulldozed for development. It's part of the code of conduct for ethical native plant propagation. The permit system for public lands was installed because too many people were digging up too much stuff. Rhodies and subalpine firs in particular were being stripped from the forests for landscaping Seattle gardens.

• botann
    11 years ago

Subalpine firs and subalpine hemlocks taken from the national forests are sold as 'Rustics'. They can be legally obtained by permit. Some do and some don't. I'm all for the permit process, and heavy fines for those caught digging without a permit for the reasons stated above by reg pnw.
    Then we have people gathering foliage and cones for the florist industry..... with or without a permit.
    I've seen people taking out whole pickup loads of rocks without a permit.
    "What's the harm?", they say.
    "What if everybody did it?," I say.
    Mike

• bejoy2
    11 years ago

#7 looks more like Kerria japonica to me

• Wayne Reibold
    11 years ago

I'd bet $$ that #7 is a forsythia...

• bejoy2
    11 years ago

wynswrld98: On comparing with my own specimens, I concur, it looks like forsythia. Forsythia leaves are toothed along the upper 2/3s of the margin, and simple on the lower 1/3. If I cross my eyes when I look at leaves in the photo, that's what they look like. Kerria leaves are doubly serrate along the entire leaf margin. Plus, kerria stems are green. Looks like I owe you $$.