Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
iotay55

Wierd grass

stellmar
14 years ago

I have 2 or 3 rather large patches of grass in my yard that I have never seen before. At first I thought it was caused by my lab laying on it and then I was convinced they were crop circles...LOL. The guy at home depot said probably crab grass,but another guy looked at it and said not, but didn't know what it was. The spots are about 4 by 4 and the same color as the rest of the grass but looks like a bad cowlick as the grass lays flat in all different directions. Anybody want to hazard to guess what it is? Unfortunately I have clover for the first time this year as well....argh!

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Crab grass produces distinctive forking inflorescences.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Do we actually have it here? I didn't think we did.

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    14 years ago

Does the average homeowner know what an "inflourescence" is?

Anyhow, the "patch" description does not sound like the word which I would use to describe crabgrass. But we do have it around here.

It pretty much did not exist in Washington County (Beaverton, Tigard, Etc.) in the 1970s to 1980s.

In 1985, is was in parts of Portland, including the University of Portland where I was working. By the 1990s, it was definitely in Washington County. And we have a few small ones in our front shrub bed right now. I weed them about every two weeks.

I did not recall seeing it at all on the country clubs I worked at in the 1980s. Pretty sure they must be seeing a bit of it now.

Link ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Crabgrass on Wikipedia

• hemnancy
    14 years ago

There are different kinds of clover. I really like the white clover and encourage it in my yard, but don't like the burr clover. Clover fixes nitrogen so helps to feed your lawn grasses.