Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wierd grass

Posted by stellmar WA (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 21:26

I have 2 or 3 rather large patches of grass in my yard that I have never seen before. At first I thought it was caused by my lab laying on it and then I was convinced they were crop circles...LOL. The guy at home depot said probably crab grass,but another guy looked at it and said not, but didn't know what it was. The spots are about 4 by 4 and the same color as the rest of the grass but looks like a bad cowlick as the grass lays flat in all different directions. Anybody want to hazard to guess what it is? Unfortunately I have clover for the first time this year as well....argh!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wierd grass

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 16, 09 at 0:07

Crab grass produces distinctive forking inflorescences.

o

Do we actually have it here? I didn't think we did.

o

Does the average homeowner know what an "inflourescence" is?

Anyhow, the "patch" description does not sound like the word which I would use to describe crabgrass. But we do have it around here.

It pretty much did not exist in Washington County (Beaverton, Tigard, Etc.) in the 1970s to 1980s.

In 1985, is was in parts of Portland, including the University of Portland where I was working. By the 1990s, it was definitely in Washington County. And we have a few small ones in our front shrub bed right now. I weed them about every two weeks.

I did not recall seeing it at all on the country clubs I worked at in the 1980s. Pretty sure they must be seeing a bit of it now.

Link ...

Here is a link that might be useful: Crabgrass on Wikipedia

o

There are different kinds of clover. I really like the white clover and encourage it in my yard, but don't like the burr clover. Clover fixes nitrogen so helps to feed your lawn grasses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here