Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocomesa

Hybrid Willow

cocomesa
9 years ago

Hello, hoping someone might be able to help. We have recently cut down a tree which now creates no privacy from our neighbors. I was doing some research on a fast growing shrub/tree and came across the "Hybrid Willow". Does anyone have any experience with this plant? And if so, what are your thoughts. We already have arborvitae in our yard and was looking for something different. Thank you for your help and any other suggestions you might have for a fast growing privacy tree/shrub.

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

I think if you do further research on these you will find that they are more or less universally considered a poor choice. Fast growth is not always favorable and these willows are the poster child for that issue.

As a previous post on this forum outlined: " The hybrid willows are garbage trees. Sure they grow incredibly fast but the wood is extremely weak. Consequently, they are constantly dropping leaves and branches and can blow down altogether in a bad windstorm. Being willows, they also need a lot of water and are best planted in moist soils. Their root systems are extremely aggressive and will seek out water sources such as a septic drain field. " I will add that they also tend to be rather short-lived.

And reports on a competing website that shall remain nameless also posts a lot of negative comments. There are dozens of better choices you could make. Post a photo of the situation and we'll see what suggestions we can make.

• cocomesa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you gardengal48. Here is a picture of what we are working with. We had to cut down a big tree we originally had here and it has opened it up. While I love the nice space it has given me to start planting, I'm not liking see my neighbors when sitting on my deck. :) Thank you for your help. Very much a novice gardener.

• cocomesa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And here is what it looks like at a total view of the yard. Thanks again

• bluewillow09
    9 years ago

I am curious about the answers to this, too.
    Are you looking for something that doesn't take up a lot of horizontal space or another tree? Something evergreen with dense foliage, I assume? How tall do you want it to go? Do you want to shear a hedge or have something that will fill the spot naturally?
    Your yard is very pretty, the empty spot seems like a perfect place for something that would be a focal point.

• cocomesa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bluewillow09, I would love to have something that grows very tall and keeps it's leaves throughout the winter. I would love something more that would be a focal point rather then just a arborvitae hedge. Not sure if there is anything out there other then a shrub of some sort. When I say tall, I'm thinking 8 feet or taller.

• mikebotann
    9 years ago

Where are you? What Zone?
    Mike

• Embothrium
    9 years ago

8 ft. is shrub size. If you are in the Portland area for instance maybe check out Pacific wax myrtle, that should get that big pretty fast. And is pruning tolerant.