Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?

Posted by mkirkwag Puget Sound (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 21:41

I've been reading about more unusual (to us) perennial vegetables and have gotten interested. My asparagus failed many years ago, but I might try again, and I hear sorrel will do well. I know a few things overwinter, but I'm wondering if anyone in the Puget Sound area is growing any truly perennial veggies and- if so - what you're going and how they're doing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone Growing Perennial Vegetables?

I'm in Portland, but close enough :) I have an artichoke start sitting here that I got cheap that I'm finding a home for this week. They are perennial. A lot of people have rhubarb here with lots of success (I haven't made space for one, yet...they are big). Lots of herbs either are perennial or are consistent reseeders.

I read that pepper plants are actually perennial in warmer zones than us (9 and up?) and that you can bring them indoors under lights and they will go for years.

o

I'd love to hear how the artichoke goes. I've been looking at perennial kale, chinese yams, walking onions, musk mallow, cranberry hibiscus, ramps, ostrich fern...a few other things. But just looking; not starting! I think I have the perfect place for ramps, but the cost is over the moon.

I know rhubarb does well in Eugene. You'd probably do fine with it. I hate it, so not for me, but I know a lot of people love it.

o

I've been looking at perennial vegetables this year too, and thinking about what I might establish. Since I'm stuck in town and I have to look presentable, I found a few ornamentals that double as perennial vegetables I'm adding out front - certain sedums, hostas, and daylilies, actually. I was surprised at how good daylily buds tasted; something I'd prefer to some of the "standard" veggies.

o

I will keep you posted on the artichoke :) A few neighbors have them growing in the front and they seem to do fabulously here with little care (don't think either of these neighbors is particularly diligent with their yards or even waters haha).

I love rhubarb pie, but I don't really enjoy baking so not sure that one is for me anyway.

I'm really interested in learning about the perennial kale as we eat a lot of kale here. How is it different from regular kale? I have overwintered ours but usually dig it out in the spring, it just gets buggy after a year and quite tall as it grows up not out for me (maybe its just how I pick the leaves). This year mine died after that february snow storm (had a foot of snow) but the two years prior to that it kept on going. Its definitely a year round for us....mine never bolts.

o

^ More evidence on why it is hard to give away surplus rhubarb.

o

I LOVE rhubarb, wish someone would give me some...

I make rhubarb crisp, it is faster than pie.

o

Invitation extended via email.

o

Larry, I responded

o

@princessgrace - I think the perennial version doesn't hold up to our climate. We can grow it as an annual, but...
What I want is stumble upon someone giving away ramps :-)

I do have daylilies; thanks for the reminder that they're edible! I've never tried them.

Walking and clumping onion and garlic are supposed to be perennial here
I don't know much about perennial kale. I read about it in the book referenced in the website below. Included:
brassica oleracea acephala western front, walking stick kale (ridiculously tall. looks like a Dr. Seuss plant) and tropical tree kale (I don't know if I'd want to look at that much kale all year). He also mentioned brassica oleracea wild cabbage, which doesn't look that immensely edible.
All this is from:
http://perennialvegetables.org/perennial-vegetables-for-each-climate-type/cool-maritime/

I'm kind of interested in goundnuts.

o

buyorsell, I replied at 8:30PM.

o

I have a few artichokes and they have been coming back since I planted them 5 years ago. Same with asparagus.

o

buyorsell came by this evening for a few pounds of rhubarb, thank you mkirkwag!

o

For the space and the effort it takes (yearly dividing) not to mention the watering, I do not feel that artichokes are worth growing. I have to grow everything in raised beds due to gophers and space is too dear to me. One good artichoke per plant and several more smaller ones is not a good yield imho.

o

Any time I can bumble through and accidentally improve your life, just let me know, larry-gene.

o

Thanks for the heads-up, still kris.

o
Perennial Peppers

I overwintered a pepper before in Portland. The bell pepper produced more the second season. I did not have it under a grow light, only by a west facing patio door. The plant had a lot of aphids, which were not a problem outside in my garden. I had to rinse the plant in the shower many times and also spray it.

Halfway through the winter all the leaves fell off (the aphid issue was then gone). My wife made fun of me for keeping the plant, as it looked like a stick tree. However, once April or so came around, the pepper leafed out very bushy :)

If I was to overwinter peppers again, I'd through them under a grow light.

-Ed

o

There are Jerusalem Artichokes. They are not actually perennial, but once you have them they never go away.
Either plant them where you don't care that they invade or move them every few years to keep under control. I've had them here since 1982. Also like the normal artichokes for at least 15 years with no special care other than putting compost on every spring and weeding. They are now producing about 7 to 10 buds per plant. We enjoy a lot now and then just let them go without water.

o

I cut up and froze the rhubarb in 4 cup bags as that is what a crisp or a pie takes. I then boiled what was left with some brown sugar, nutmeg and blueberries on the stove and we ate it poured over ice cream. THANK YOU

o

Sounds good. I missed last Tuesday's local CSA delivery, so this Tuesday a few more pounds will go there, plus I will make a 4thJuly dessert, that should keep the plants at bay until mid-August.

The minor effect of the harvest for you is already obliterated by new growth.

o

Rhubarb smoothie is the best ever!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here