Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
liquidambar die-back?

Posted by bobb_grow 8a SW BC (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 22:19

My liquidambar, about 10 feet high and until now very healthy, has only come back partially this spring. Few leaves on the bottom half, not too bad on top but the growth seems weaker than usual. I had thought it was b/c it is in a large pot and the relatively cold winter was hard on it.

However, I just drove by a shopping centre here in the Fraser Valley and in its parking lot most of the larger, better established liquidambar are showing the same signs. In fact, some appear to have few leaves, in one or two cases, even no leaves.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might be the problem?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: liquidambar die-back?

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 12, 09 at 1:14

How long has it been in the same pot? could be rootbound.

Can you post an image?

o
RE: liquidambar die-back?

Here are two pictures of it. I had already cut off several of the totally dead lower branches before writing my initial question. It has been in the pot about 3 years. My initial thoughts were that the pot was the problem (i.e., more affected by the cold or perhaps it was rootbound)

But then I saw all of the liquidambar in a similar condition in the nearby shopping centre I began to think it might be something else. Those are planted in ground and have been growing strongly for at least 10 years and look similar, even worse in some cases.

Thanks for any thoughts!

liquidambar2

liquidambar1

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here