Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
273 days - maybe tomorrow?

Posted by nancyanne_2010 Z 8 / WA (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 22:54

273 days since the last 75F+ day in seattle. Today was close at 73F ---- Tomorrow will be the last chance for the week since it's suppose to get a little cooler with a chance of rain after tomorrow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 273 days - maybe tomorrow?

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jun 22, 10 at 22:59

My dogwoods are starting to roll up.

o

I think I saw a polar bear in the woods this morning.

o

80 degrees today - it's starting to feel like spring! Oh wait, we've passed the summer solstice...

Sequim weather closest to me

o

:-D

It made it to 80 in Sequim???

It hasn't even felt like spring here yet.

No record tomato and squash crops this year.

o

Highs near 70 through Sunday and nighttime lows above 50... I'm not going to complain.

http://www.king5.com/weather/maps?radar=63609937&img=0&c=y

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 10:12

bboy, my Dogwoods are fine. ;-)

Cornus kousa, 'Satomi'
Cornus kousa, 'Satomi'

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 11:21

I was feeling really optimistic yesterday, when I made up my bed with fresh sheets I took off the cotton thermal blanket I add for winter, am now down to the summer-weight comforter :)

Botann, your dogwood is beautiful. I saw a few in the Belfair area Saturday that looked exceptionally nice this year too. My own c. kousa blooms with flowers much the same color as the leaves, subtle doesn't begin to describe it.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 13:47

2005 Timber Press dogwood book says to call it 'Miss Satomi'.

'Big Apple', despite appearing to do fine otherwise seems very quick to react to drier conditions every year.

"Cornus Kousa ---Kousa Dogwood
Too thirsty. It loathes our dry summers and is horribly stunted. In this regard it is just like the Katsura. Happily, Kousa Dogwood will not grow too large for small gardens. I love the tree's appearance, health, and its colorful seasonal displays. But because of its virtues, and despite its thirst, it is being overplanted. It blooms in June, and Seattle would benefit by more trees that bloom later in summer"

Here is a link that might be useful: Article - Overplanted in Seattle by Arthur Lee Jacobson

o

Made it to 78F today! Cinnamon, cloves, and cocoa all loved spending the entire day outside - all of them are putting out new leaves.

Oh well, back to early spring tomorrow.

o

Today saw my furnace unused for just the 3rd time this year. And already the daylight grows a little shorter each day. Sigh.

o

Patrick, Agree, Big sighhhhh here, too. All those potential daylight hours the last 3 weeks lost to greyness.
Interesting graphs on the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: daylight hours

o

Patrick - we're neighbors. I'm in SeaTac too.

plantknitter - great link, thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here