Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tthomas19

Tri-Color Beech wilted

tthomas19
11 years ago

Hi gang, looking for some problem solving.

Bought a Tri Color Beech (abt 6ft tall) from a reputable nursery locally in early May. It was B&B. Immediately put it in the ground on a bit of a slope to help drainage as the soil in that area is clay. There was no standing water in the hole or even much mud considering how much rain we've had up here this year. Roughed up the sides of the hole, planted at the right depth. Gave it a shot of vit B and a drink of water and let it be. It was just starting to bud when planted. Tree leafed out slowly, but fine over the next month. I've only given it water when there has been a period of several days of heat and no rain (so not very much considering the amt of rain we've been getting). Two weeks ago the leaves started wilting and drying up from the tips inward. Now most are brown and falling off. Seems like maybe it's drowning but it being on slope should let it drain. There is a Crimson King Maple planted just downhill from it abt 50-60 ft away and it's doing fine. Maybe it's just going thru transplant shock-hell?

Any ideas or suggestions? My plan is to let it be this year and see what happens next spring, but if that's a bad plan, I'd love your input.

Tracy

Comments (2)