Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ocean Spray is spectacular!

Posted by reg_pnw7 WA 7, sunset 4 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 0:04

Has anyone else noticed how spectacular the ocean spray is this year? They're covered with flowers, all blooming at once! Some years the flowers get ruined by rain or heat but this year! This year they're perfect and floriferous! Must be that cool damp spring, gave them plenty of soil moisture. Or sometimes I've noticed that a particularly cold winter will be followed by spectacular bloom in spring-blooming shrubs like camellias. Whatever it is I'm enjoying it while the show lasts!

I photographed these this morning along Case Rd outside of Maytown in Thurston County, WA.

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/43010/2706690120105313921S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb34.webshots.com/45601/2270175300105313921S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb50.webshots.com/47921/2386562590105313921S500x500Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb12.webshots.com/47883/2021721130105313921S500x500Q85.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ocean Spray is spectacular!

Dang! let's try that again!

ocean spray (2)

o
RE: Photos in post now!

That's more like it!

ocean spray (4)

ocean spray (3)

ocean spray (5)

o

I agree they look great now and are generally underrated. Around here they gave a really good show last year too. It's a plant that I really want to like - Pity they don't look this good most of the time or I'd certainly want a bunch of them in my garden.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 16, 10 at 12:41

Yes, the problem with it is as an ornamental is the plumes go brown and then stay on the shrub. Not saying it isn't true but also have not noticed an exceptional bloom on these this year (nor last year) myself, unlike with Cornus florida which some years ago was often looking as poor as C. nuttallii in local plantings - to become smothered with flowers by this year. As with camellias the flower buds are set the previous year, for a good bloom to be weather-related it would be due to the weather the previous summer. Winter conditions would affect the amount of bloom in spring or summer only by reducing the number of surviving flower buds, during a hard winter.

o

Thanks for the great pictures, reg. So that's what those shrubs are! As a recent transplant to this area, I noticed them blooming, and wondered. They are very pretty.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 18, 10 at 16:02

Due to the vogue for natives one of those shrubs fairly easily found at independent outlets.

o

My backyard is full of ocean spray and I love it. Yes, the plumes go brown, but they also attract birds -- especially those cutesy little bushtits. A flock of them will land, hunting for insects I assume, and the bushes seem to come to life. Wonderful plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here