Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chellebean_gw

Small Redwood? in yard

chellebean
14 years ago

I just moved into a rental home with a relatively nice yard that just needs a little maintenance. I know nothing about gardening really, but I'm working on it.

Small problem however. I have what seems to be a small Redwood tree, about 7' tall, growing in a small plot of soil between the house and a walkway. I'm not really sure what to do with it... I know it needs to come out. How should I go about doing that? Perhaps it should just be moved? Would it make it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Comments (9)

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Cut it off. It won't kill it but it will keep it small while you are there. Unlike many conifers coast redwoods are able to sprout from the crown and grow back.

To get the crown out you need digging, prying and/or chopping tools. There should not be any utilities where you will be working.

• nwhorthappy
    14 years ago

I also am curious about "small" redwoods. I have a 1-foot tall by 3-foot sprawling conifer I got as a 4" pot 5 years ago from the UW Arboretum greenhouse, labeled Sequoia sempervirens 'Cantab.'

I see conflicting info about this cultivar in various resources.

It's quite sprawling now. What should I expect of it? I like the idea of a prostrate redwood, but don't know it if will emerge as an upright over time.

Any experience with this from you good folk out there?

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    14 years ago

Sounds like a 5 minute removal - is yours should be a small 2" to 3" trunk thickness?

Someone may want it.

If you put a FREE ad for it on Craigslist, you may find a digger / taker in a hour.

That's where I post free stuff all the time, whether 200 landscape plant pots, or concrete pier blocks. The calls come in within 20 minutes, and anything I've offered has been picked up in 2 hours or less. Usually under an hour. Great resource.

Is it a coastal redwood, or a giant sequoia redwood?

• muddydogs
    14 years ago

You have less authority than the tree. Leave it alone.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    14 years ago

seems to me the chain of command here would be:

landlord---chellebean---tree

i don't see why any landlord would be upset about you removing a tree that WILL DAMAGE THE HOUSE at some point. however, they may have some plan for it. i would call your landlord first.

• botann
    14 years ago

I have a 'Cantab' Redwood. It grows as a groundcover but may revert to upright growth. Mine did and I let it grow.
    Here's a picture of it.
    {{gwi:1083868}}

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Rooted sides branches of 'Cantab' are sold as 'Prostrata'. These often revert readily to form the typical 'Cantab' tree. What is different about this cultivar is the leaves rather than the habit. While smaller-parted and less vigorous as most other coast redwoods it will still form a tall tree in time.

• nwhorthappy
    14 years ago

Botann, thanks for the picture! How old is that 'Cantab'?

I would appreciate advice on how to (or whether to) train my prostrate 'Cantab' growth...should I be selecting an upright branch to encourage an upright tree form?

A related question (maybe I should post it elsewhere??) is about rehabilitating winter-damaged conifers. Specifically, I have a Cupressus himalaica from Colvos Creek Nursery that grew beautifully to about 10 feet, then in this last winter (2 degrees F here in upper Skagit Valley) died back, all except the bottom-most 3 branches. Should I top it and train the liveliest branch to be a new leader?

Thanks, and I welcome suggestions on where else to post this.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

If your redwood throws up leads pick one near the center to keep and suppress the rest with snipping back.

The cypress will freeze back again so there does not seem to be much point in keeping it.