Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Buying Online

Posted by Jstn254 WA 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 0:31

So I really want a couple of these Lipan Crepes, has anyone ever ordered trees from an online website and have them shipped from somewhere else in the country? Is it worth it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Buying Online

I would say yes, if the plant is something you can't find at a local nursery. My experience is that mail order nurseries double or even go higher than what you can buy from a local nursery. Then they charge very high shipping prices, even for one plant. My experience is if a plant cost $3 to $6 at a local nursery, expect to pay $6, $12, $24, or higher at a mail order site. Then they charge $10, $24, or higher for shipping. I try to limit my online shopping to only plants I can't find at local nurseries because of this.

o

I've purchased Mountain-ashes from ForestFarm. The shipping isn't cheap, but they pack them well and they arrive in great shape.

o

Considering the PNW is one of largest commercial plant growing areas in the country and most local garden centers are very well stocked, NOT being able to locate something easily often has a very good reason behind it. The problem with buying online is that it won't have that sort of location appropriate filter applied to it.

Crape myrtles are just not great plants for this area. It seldom gets hot enough in summer for any length of time to encourage them to bloom. The large display planting in the parking islands of the Center for Urban Horticulture has pretty much bit the dust and that planting site was considered more or less ideal - open, full sun and lots of reflected heat. If you can replicate that sort of environment, especially the reflected heat, you may have some luck but crapes would never be at the top of my preferred plant list for the maritime Northwest.

o

I've mail ordered many plants, it is worth it if you can't find it locally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here