Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chicamarie_gw

Pittosporum Parvilimbum

chicamarie
14 years ago

So I have this beautiful small "tree"/shrub, which I can't locate a photo of on the web because it seems to be a very recent variety of Pittosporum. Does anyone know what it needs and wants? I need to move it from its current location because it's getting too big. It gets lots of sun right now in well-composted soil, but I am thinking about moving it to my parking strip which is all sun, all the time. I want to move it now since the weather here in PDX isn't supposed to be too scorching for a while. And my wisteria is trying to eat it.

Thanks!

Christy

Comments (7)

• ian_wa
    14 years ago

Wow, I've never heard of that one before. I had to google it. So it's from China. China has a summer monsoon season. Some Chinese plants are very drought tolerant for us, but most of them really aren't - they prefer lots of summer water, and usually moisture-retentive soil - and one doesn't want to assume something about a new plant until it has been tested more extensively under a variety of conditions. So I guess my advice is, if you move it into a hot sunny spot, just keep it really well watered and mulched! And we'll probably have more hot weather later - if you could wait a couple months to move it, that might be safer.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Cut back the wisteria, move the shrub in fall. If hardiness might be questionable, move in spring. Avoid moving when there is much soft new growth.

• PRO
    George Three LLC
    14 years ago

also, i would wait till friday night. looking at the forecast, its high 80's low 90's till saturday.

• albertine
    14 years ago

I have two of them in my parking strip. They made it through last winter with flying colors (Pittosporum garnettii died back to a foot high, Wheeler's Dwarf was fine) and bloomed well this spring, wonderfully fragrant and wafting. I remember a little tip damage in the first years when they were young. I'm treating them as sheared hedge shapes. I also have a Pittosporum heterophyllum out there that is doing as well, although it wants to be a lot larger than the narrow strip it's on. I watered for the first couple years, last and this year they aren't getting watered and they are fine. I am facing west, so hot in the afternoon.

• chicamarie
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback.

Albertine - do you have a picture of what yours look like? Mine has so much space between the branches that I'm having difficulty imagining it pruned, plus, it has a nice natural woodsy shape at the moment.

Again, thanks! And I think I will just tame the wisteria and wait a couple of months.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Looks familiar, I think I've seen it at a local outlet or two. Did you buy it at a garden center?

Here is a link that might be useful: JC Raulston Arboretum - Photograph Colleciton

• albertine
    14 years ago

I don't have a photo, but I can say that they started out quite leggy. I have no experience with hedge culture - I just started pruning them into the perimeter of the shape I wanted, and now in their 4th year they are pretty filled in. The heterophyllum filled in sooner.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths