Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello native returning home

Posted by zoo-katie FL10 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 14, 13 at 4:09

Hi my name is Katie I am returning home to Vancouver Wa. after almost 10 yrs in south florida, Although my knowledge of NW plants is returning my collection is sadly not, I had to leave alot of my tropicals in Fl, no room in moving van. One plant I missed so much from here was a Gartenmeister fuschia and tuberous begonias, if anyone could help me find starts it would really help me feel at home! I do have some seeds I can trade, what I could salvage is in storage so not sure of condition of plants, plus money is an issue until end of Oct. Thanks for any help and I hope to make the kind of friends here I had on this site in FL.
Katie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello native returning home

Welcome back; our hardiness zone here has been upgraded to 8b a couple of years ago. East wind can be another gardening factor depending on how close to the Columbia River you are.

There are a handful of Portland-area members active here, and the more numerous Seattle-area members are helpful also.

o

Thanks larry gene hoping to find some swap groups did that alot in FL worked at the PB zoo in horticulture was a master gardner in WA before moving, hope to make some gardening connections here :)

o

go to the the exchange forum.
Barb and Don host some plant trades down your way.

Here is a link that might be useful: exchange forum

o

I am in Portland and have spent a few years on vegetable gardening but only this year began an interest in ornamentals. I have had a ton of good luck making entire new beds hitting up the Portland craigslist free section. Most people here hate to throw anything away when redoing, and like to PIF. I have gone on many "adventures" with my five year old daughter to dig up people's plants! Its a little quiet now bc of summer but guessing some more good freebies come fall. There are also some great local plant sales at schools and community centers, but those tend to happen in spring.

I'd love more info about any plant swaps you find. I'm in SE PDX and don't tend to venture that far north.....I don't have much to share at this point either except berries.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 26, 13 at 12:39

If you're interested in exotics take a trip to Cistus nursery on Sauvie Island, near Portland (see their web site).

o

Rare Plant Research south of Oregon City has a lot of tropicals, some can go outside but most require special housing here.

o

Thanks Everyone all good advice will keep you all posted on anything I find
Katie

o

bump this again this fall. i always have a bunch of plants during the editing phase of the planting season.

o

Forestfarm has a lot of good stuff available via mail order.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here