Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ellen_portland

How to control clover invasion?

ellen_portland
15 years ago

Next to my driveway I have planted a garden of Heather and ground cover. It's doing very well, only problem is, so is the clover that's invaded the area. Is there any way to get rid of this "pest" without loosing 3 years of finally covering Blue Star Creeper and Creeping Thyme?

Comments (9)

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I've resorted to Round Up. I cut the bottom out of a plastic milk jug and use that to cover the plant and spray down the hole.

Handing pulling just doesn't work with oxalis, it has very stubborn roots and it sprays seeds too.

Watch out for the Blue Star Creeper, mine has smothered some of my heathers and dwarf conifers. I love it but hate how it grows up into them and swamps them, the smothered sections will die and sometimes the whole plant.

• ellen_portland
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, you are VERY right about the Blue Star Creeper-

Though I do like how cheery it's been looking, I just spent most of last evening lifting up all around the Heathers and pulling OUT the Creeper as it was growing into them. It also seems to be a sort of "nursery" for slug production! Since the Creeper covers up the canopy of the Heather coming down you wouldn't believe how many slugs and baby slugs I found- so many tiny ones just hanging out in the Creeper! Grrrr!

Funny it took your mentioning it, but I am now second guessing what to do with the Creeper if I have to keep rescuing my Heathers (soft spot for them, first thing I planted when we bought the house!)

If I get rid of the Creeper that should help me control the Clover, but any ideas on a ground cover that wouldn't smother existing shrubs? I'm wondering if one exists? Can the two live together?

Much appreciated!!!

• thane
    15 years ago

There are prostrate heathers that make good groundcovers.
    Examples:
    Dainty Bess
    Golden Carpet

Many, many more can be found in the Heaths & Heathers online catalog.

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

I know all about those slugs. Found the same situation here.

I LOVE heaths and heathers with dwarf conifers and thought I'd put some ground cover between them as I bought a lot of 4" pots for economy. I've been ripping out the blue star creeper and Irish and Scotch moss for years now......

I do have some ground covering forms but I still am interested in good natured ground covers. My heaths and heathers are almost filled in but I need groundcovers between hostas and ferns and huecheras.

I kill Ajuga. I just love it but it fades away on me. I must have planted what equates to 50 4" pots of it over the last 14 years in this house.

• abiggermess
    11 years ago

Ive got a section that has been increasing in clover and I'm working on trying to eliminate it with other plants and a stepable blue star creeper and I plan on digging up the clover as I plant this in its place. Will it eliminate the clover all together?

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I have been unable to eliminate clover from any bed regardless of what is planted there. I is my most persistent weed. I have brown leaved, green leaved both with yellow flowers and then the bigger leaved white flowered in the lawn. Where I actually don't mind it.

• botann
    11 years ago

Some 'clovers' are not clovers at all. They're Oxalis and are commonly called Japanese Clover. They love bare ground and disturbed soil. Commonly found in nursery stock pots using reused potting soil. I'm fanatical about not letting it into the garden and just as fanatical about not letting it go to seed. I will stop what I'm doing when I spot it to get rid of it.
    True Clover, Trifolium, is best killed with a broadleaf weed killer, not Glysophate, the killing agent in Roundup. Roundup does a poor job of killing Clover.
    Mike

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

I shall rephrase: The Oxalis corniculata and Oxalis stricta in my beds drives me nutz. My worst weeds by far.

The Trifolium repens in my lawn doesn't. :) I like that is stays green, attracts bees and flowers cheerfully.

• botann
    11 years ago

I don't mind Clover in the lawn either, for the same reasons.
    Mike

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus