Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
llanwenlys

euonymus alata 'burning bush'

Llanwenlys
12 years ago

One of my neighbors out here in the countryside has a large series of hedges of burning bush, which are typical lovely light green hedges until Fall when they become show-stopping.

Does anyone have experience with euonymus alata? Are there better or worse cultivars? What should I know?

Comments (4)

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

Very commonly and easily grown. Dominant cultivar 'Compactus'. Should be kept in mind when planting that this will grow above your head in time. Does come back quickly from renewal pruning (periodic cutting to near ground, during winter).

• botann
    12 years ago

I prefer to grow the full sized variety over the compact one.
    It doesn't seem to reseed as much. In the northeast, it's considered as an invasive. I have seen it in western Massachusetts completely dominating the understory.

Euonymus alatus, if given enough room, can be a nice addition to the garden. I prune it as if it were a tree.
    Mike

{{gwi:1084321}}
    That's Phlomis in front of it.

• Embothrium
    12 years ago

I had the impression much less fruit was seen on 'Compactus', at least in this area. If the sexually reproducing weedy stands in the East are all of this type then there may be an implication that it is a botanical variety or otherwise something more than just a clonal cultivar.

• botann
    12 years ago

In my case it might be the condition of the mulch under the bush. One being better for germination survival than the other, rather than something genetic. Here's the 'Compatus' or Compacta', as Sunset says. I took this one out because the wings were much less pronounced than the species, therefore, much less interesting to visitors. That's a Smoke Tree behind it. Where there's smoke, there's fire.
    Mike

{{gwi:1084322}}
    Old pic from 2002