Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer don't eat...

Posted by dottyinduncan z8b coastal BC (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 7, 13 at 10:18

I know deer will eat almost anything, but I thought maybe we could update the deer resistant plant list through this forum? I find that the list provided by my local nursery is wrong about quite a few plants and I've found a few that seem to be quite resistant. So if I start a list, can you add to it please? I love colour in my garden and would like more.
They have ignored:
Brunnera
Astilbe
Thread leaf coreopsis
Lupin
Hebe, variety Sunstreak, I think
Peony
dwarf dahlias, although they have eaten big ones
Most rhodies, they eat the orange and yellow ones first

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer don't eat...

day lily
st johns wort
dianthus
myosotis
digitalis
viola
pansy
daffodil

o

• Posted by corrine1 7b Pacific Northwest (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 8, 13 at 18:30

here near Black Diamond they don't eat smaller blooming things so much as the large bloomers like rose & lilies.

euphorbia
tall sedum (eat it at Whidbey though)
daylily
calendula
hardy geraniums if fragrant foliage)
monarda
lavendar
rosemary & other herbs
nepeta1
coreposis
blanket flower
canna
echinacea
soapwort
bulb plants (except eat tulips)
sweet pea, perennial
cape fuchsia (at Whidbey they eat them)
peony
penstemon
lilac
Centaruea montana, per.cornflower
dame's rocket
Filipendula
lamium
Seems like the yearlings do the most damage. Haven't seen any fawns yet this year. They do like campanula blooms, heuchera if in their path on their rounds, not going out of way to get them...nibbled all the fringecup blooms this year in one large sweeping of them. Saved me having to cut them back.

Putting something they don't like around plants they're attracted to helps. Barberry kept them out of knockout rose. Monarda kept them out of raspberries so far this year. Also keeping me out of that section until everbearing are ready to pick. Garlic & onions works on established strawberries, but not last year's new plants. I need to plant more garlic & onions there, too.

It's a constant battle to deter them, so keep putting out dog & human hair, eggs, herbs after making tea, bloodmeal in pantyhose bags, etc.

I moved hydrangeas into fenced backyard or next to house & not nibbled. They love hydrangeas.

o

Spirea
Potentilla
Fig
Ladies Mantle
Iris
Primula
Persicaria
Yarrow
Pulmonaria
Mint
Fireweed
Oxeye daisy
Barberry
Lunaria
Salal
Cotinus
Euonymus
Osmanthus
Anemone japonica, nemorosa
Agrimony
Hoytunnia
Echinacea
Oregano
Marjoram

o

This is great! A better list than my nursery although darned deer will eat anything in different areas it seems. Perhaps next year I will have more colour in my garden. Any others?

o

Lamium orvala

o

Agaves, Yuccas, cacti, and Phormiums. Nearly everything in the Myrtaceae and Proteaceae families - that's hundreds of choices. They don't seem too keen on Pittosporums, Corokia or Olearia either.

They eat Penstemons for me in winter when they get hungry enough, but they always grow back.

o

Deer, at least in my 98467 area, will not eat Dahlia's. I always use them as a barrier around plants I want to protect. Works for me.

o

I had a bunch of dahlia in a large pot and they ate it like salad. They have eaten a few of my new fuchsias, but have left some alone. Surrounding old fuchsias haven't been touched. They yank lilac branches here to strip them of their growth. Luckily, mine are now tall enough to stand as trees.
Irises, sedum, rosemary, and kalmia remain untouched.

o

The deer in my area eat Astilbe and lilacs like it's candy.

o

Are there varieties within the genus that they will eat or not eat? For instance euphorbia. I planted "diamond frost" one year and they ate it constantly. This past summer they left it alone. Also, I have had cistus (rock rose) eaten/not eaten.

o

This is really helpful! I moved to the San Juan Islands and there are deer in my yard every day. I hate to fence the whole yard so I will try some of these plants and let you know if they work! Thanks!

o

Deer frequently come through my Battleground WA garden, viewing it as an all-you-can-eat buffet.

So far they have not eaten -

Any herbs. They have not touched:
parsley
sage
rosemary
thyme
oregano
chives
mint
monarda
lemon balm
lavender
scented leaf geraniums.
poppies, california and shirley

For flowers, they did not eat:
marigolds
sweet alyssum
de Caen anemones
bearded iris
daffodils
ornamental alliums
sedum
anise hyssop
cleome
coreopsis
careopteris / bluebeard

Something ate leaves from one Globemaster allium, maybe rabbit or deer. Something ate all of the muscari, also might be rabbit or deer

For shrubs, deer avoided
Viburnum
forsythia
flowering quince
buddleia - sterile hybrids Miss Ruby, peach cobbler, blueberry cobbler, Miss Molly, blue chip
ginkgo biloba - I know these are trees but we grew a bunch from seeds, that we keep pruned at shrub size.
lilac
ceanothus
camelia
They eat the flower heads off red twig dogwood but leave the stems in place
The jury is out on weigela. They are listed as deer resistant but deer ate about 1/2 of the tops from 2 varieties. Just the tender shoots.

For fruit trees, they did not eat;
Persimmon
Figs. The small fig trees need protection from bark chewing rodents
Most sweet and sour cherries, they did sample a few leaves of a Montmorency cherry
Peaches, except a small sample from a Indian Free peach
Pawpaw. One small tree was eaten off by a rabbit.
Feijoa

Ornamental Trees
Ginnkgo biloba
Linden Greenspire and Redmond
Laburnum
Maples from seed and a Norway Maple
pine trees
fir trees
spruce trees

They also avoid dandelions, johnson grass, wild carrot, bllackberries, fescue, clover.....

I have a 7 foot tall fence around plum trees which so far is working.

o

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 15, 13 at 0:41

Bear, I'm glad you preceded your list with 'so far'....because you never know when their tastes will change and they'll try something new.

I planted threadleaf coreopsis in my driveway island bed because they aren't supposed to like it. It's not even established yet and deer nipped the yellow flowers from it every time it bloomed. Bonus was they were turning to very compact bushy plants :)

Deer haven't eaten blackberry for you? It's a perennial temptation here, they love blackberry (foliage, not berry). Also salmon berry, thimble berry, raspberry and of course roses....anything a little thorny.

They will browse on fir seedlings.

I shooed a doe away from a lace leaf maple in the front yard this Fall, to go back in the house only to find it had moved to the back and was munching on one there....:)
I added maple to my list of plants needing deer repellent every so often.

Too soon to know, but I think my deer pressure has lightened since removing blackberry, ivy (they were constantly pulling at the ivy), laurel (they loved that too) from this yard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Northwestern Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here