Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dottyinduncan

What are you enjoying from your garden now?

dottyinduncan
15 years ago

Our dinner last night started with a globe artichoke; we had lettuce, raddish and green onions. Green arrow peas are ready, we have broad beans -- have frozen some for the winter and I ate my first raspberry yesterday. Oh yes, and we had beet thinnings the night before last. I just love our fresh produce. What grows well in your veggie garden?

Comments (22)

• cedar_wa
    15 years ago

Strawberries are outstanding this year. Planted many varieties of lettuce which still have not bolted because of the cool weather. We are eating broccoli, globe artichoke, green onions, garlic scapes, beet greens, kale,rhubarb. Peas should be ready this week. After the recent rains and some heat the squash and tomatoes are taking off. There is possible hope for a little basil and peppers.

• lisa51417
    15 years ago

It's colder where I am (I think our last frost was sometime in late May!) so our lettuce is just getting big and I picked about half a dozen ripe strawberries (but there are lots that will be ripe in a week or so). Oh, and we have a single snap pea -- not enough for a meal, LOL. Our zucchini (which I planted from starts in early May) is blooming, too.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    15 years ago

Having a feed of peas tomorrow from seed that was sent by mistake, right name wrong veggie LOL. We've been eating lettuce for quite some time now, the raspberries are starting to get ripe. I don't grow to much in the veggie line but plan on growing a lot more next year due the increase in cost at the grocery store.
    A......

• thecitychicken
    15 years ago

Snow peas, snow peas, and more snow peas. I am unmotivated about freezing them so I give them to the neighbors. So far I have given away seven or eight zip lock bags full.

The main garden thing I like is tomatoes. But they are tougher to grow. Next year I'll skip the snow peas and keep all that space for just tomatoes.

Why do I grow snow peas if I don't even eat very many of them? Because I'm guaranteed success! :)

--Katy

• hemnancy
    15 years ago

The bush fruits are really late because of the cold weather in June, but now I'm getting raspberries, currants, blueberries, early mulberries, and thimbleberries. I stir-fried some snow peas, and ate the sugar snap peas raw. I've been eating greens for a while of some mustard types that bolt really fast, flowers and all. Now the larger mustard and kale are getting large enough to eat, and basil and lettuce under lights. I also have some peppers set on in pots, as well as a few straight-neck yellow squash in the garden, ready to eat in a few days. The tomatoes are blooming but it will be a while. I'm making tea from the peppermint. It will be great when the pear and apples start getting ripe.:-) I cooked some small green apples that the deer knocked off, they were good.

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Citychicken, I wish I had planted sugar snaps. I picked pod peas yesterday and the amount of peas I got for all the work isn't enough! I love peas (preferrably stolen from a neighbour's garden) or just having a few to nibble on while you are working. I've been digging new potatoes (love them cooked with mint) but that's about it so far. Oh, except for multiplyer onions which I use as green onions in salads.

• JudyWWW
    15 years ago

Snow peas, broccoli, lettuce, kale, chard, endive, fresh coriander. Have ripe early cabbage and quarter size tomatoes (Matina and Taxi), and pea size cherry tomatoes. jwww

• scarleta
    15 years ago

Lettuce , radishes, broad beans, peas.My chard has a bit catching up to do maybe 2 more weeks as it got eaten by slugs and I had to re-plant it.
    Parsley, cilantro are doing well too.I just love it when I can go to my garden and harvest my dinner.I have kale but have not found a good recipe so don't make it too often.Waiting for the rest to pop up.My romanesco zuccchini surely will be ready in one week.
    The rest is coming up soon

• hemnancy
    15 years ago

I like kale just steamed and seasoned with lemon pepper then I melt some cheese on top. I belong to the Garfield School of Cooking, everything is improved by cheese.;-D I also like it in soup or stir-fries, or in Asian soup with galangal or ginger, lemongrass, Shiitake mushrooms, soy sauce, onions,and rice noodles, yam noodles, or peeled chopped taro root. The snow peas are great stir-fried with onions, Shiitake mushrooms, and lime-ginger sauce.

• plantlady999
    15 years ago

I have been enjoying my herbs,have made different types of breads and buns. Also have 4 different types of lettuces and my raspberries are ready. I have a very small veg. garden mostly flowers.

Sue

• southsounder
    15 years ago

In the last few days I have been harvesting and enjoying peas, strawberries, currants, cherries, cilantro, parsley, and lettuce. Should have blackberries and blueberries real soon.

• gardinator
    15 years ago

Planted snap peas and pea pods together in pots and they've gone crazy (early on (March) I used a grow light and brought them in at night). I love the things and have been chowing on them for almost a month now. Sadly, they're winding down so I need to plant some more.

Ate my first zucchini the other day, and have been eating little cherry tomatoes.

First cukes are starting to mature in the greenhouse. Tomatoes are large and flowering but except for a few little green ones aren't there yet.

• thecitychicken
    15 years ago

dottyinduncan, I wish I had planted "sugar snap" peas, too! I planted all snow peas. Next year maybe I'll do all sugar snap.

-Katy

• emphatica
    15 years ago

Katy you can still plant some sugar snaps. This next week is the time to plant a fall crop. I did it last year, a bit later than I should have too, and I got a decent crop of peas in the fall.
    We are eating lettuce, peas, strawberries, kale, chard, spinach, raspberries, and the kids pulled up some baby carrots when I was not looking. -ginny

• scarleta
    15 years ago

Thanks Hemnancy for the tip on putting cheese on kale.Unfortunately I am the only one not allergic to cheese so I usually don't use cheese.YOu are absolutely right about cheese.
    Do you have any other suggestions on how to cook kale without cheese? Anyone else has a good one please share.Maybe we ought to start a new thread on this one as kale is full of minerals and its good for you.Thanks again.

• Allison Proctor
    15 years ago

You can make cream of kale soup! Saute some w/butter and onions. Add a bit of flour ... add hemp milk or plain soy milk (we're allergic, too, I miss cheese!) and salt. Very good. Works with most any vegetable. You may have to play with it a bit to taste.

• scarleta
    15 years ago

Thanks Lalameija:Great idea I will give it a try.I like kale but never sure how to make it so I thank you and I will try it for sure.

• buzzy
    15 years ago

For eats we're loving mixed lettuces, spinach, chard, pansies, cilantro, snap peas and pea tendrils, and just about to start harvesting broccoli. Strawberries! We lost just about everything in the cold wet spring - seeds rotted in the ground so we had to start over.

In the ornamental garden - we have a Hall's honeysuckle draped over the deck that lifts you off your feet whenever you step outside - what a fragrance! And the Malva mauritania Bibor Fehlo is filling the garden with fat plum purple stalks - it's seeded itself all over and we let it. Roses and lilies, daisies, dianthus, and a sudden rush of alstromeria - I've been trying to get rid of it for 20 years but didn't have time to dig it up this year so we have a huge blooming clump. I just let go and let Mother Nature. Oh, the daylilies are a treat!

• dottyinduncan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love to read your garden produce stories! Right now, I am in China and I know my friends are enjoying my raspberry and pea crop along with the lovely summer weather. Beijing is very impressive! They are planting gardens/trees/shrubs/greenery everywhere. There are huge trees being planted using cranes and armies of people are beautifying the city with greenery. The country is very prosperous and is going to show itself off with the Olympics. I'm here for another week and it's going to be interesting to see the finishing touches that will happen during that time. Dottyinchina...

• carolynp
    15 years ago

Wow! I envy you guys! I had peas and spinach earlier in the season (Mayish). I have yet to have a carrot or a tomato come to fruition! We lost 2 weeks as I understand it with the late snow in May, so we still have the herbs, but it's a first garden for me and I didn't plant any other lettuces and I went tomato crazy. Hopefully, I'll have a year's worth of tomatoes to can at the end of this saga, lol.

Grace,
    Carolyn P.

• corgi
    15 years ago

Fresh mint in a mojito on the patio! Simple but ohh so fresh :)

• southsounder
    15 years ago

My tomatoes are finally coming in. Had two sungolds earlier this week. Should have a boatload of them next week.