Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnaberdeen

Official: June cooler & wetter than normal

johnaberdeen
11 years ago

The National Weather Service records state this: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/FXC/wxstory.php?wfo=sew

Any long time Northwestern who is attuned to their plants growth could have told them this!

They are also expecting July to be cooler than normal: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/t14.2c.gif and dryer than normal: http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/long_range/p14.2c.gif .

Great another cool summer on top of a cold and wet spring. Great for gardening, not!

Comments (6)

• plantknitter
    11 years ago

depends what you are growing--my garden is doing fantastic this year --plants staying fresh and lush much longer.

(warm weather vegetables come from the market- I have too much shade here anyway)

• buyorsell888
    11 years ago

This gardener is thoroughly sick of wet, clouds, slugs and weeds.

• johnaberdeen
    Original Author
    11 years ago

With more than fifty years of gardening, I haven't vegetable gardened in a long while. The market is more convenient and cheaper.
    I do like vine ripe tomatoes, haven't been able to grow them for the last four years. I have fruit trees that don't set fruit, or very little, because the springs are too cold and wet for pollinators. My rhododendrons are growing like crazy but didn't start flowering until two months after they normally flower. My cape fushsias and normal fushsias are just now starting to flower, well past their normal times. My hardy bananas, bamboo, palm trees are just now starting to show growth when they normally started in March. My eucalyptus are doing well, but most mountain eucalyptus like cool better than warm or hot. Even my native plants like douglas fir haven't put on growth like they normally do at this time of year. Normally they would have two to four feet of leader growth by now, not one foot or less.
    This is what I am talking about!

• Embothrium
    11 years ago

I've been noticing increased annual growth in native pine family conifers with determinate growth styles where yearly progress can easily be observed, such as Douglas fir. You might expect these to respond to increased dampness, not be bothered by lower temperatures. But there also seems to be marked recent increase in floral profusion among various common exotic trees and shrubs like flowering crabapples, hybrid rhododendrons and even lilacs. This year in particular there were spectacular general flowerings, with thousands of specimens absolutely packed with bloom.

• larry_gene
    11 years ago

Portland June rain 4.1" 2nd wettest in 71 years.
    Rained on about 20 of the 30 days.

Oddly enough, still an improvement over the last two years because of warmer nights and more 80-degree days.

Had to harvest the pie cherries this evening two weeks earlier than last year because they were getting moldy.

• plantknitter
    11 years ago

Re:...increased annual growth in native pine family conifers with determinate growth styles where yearly progress can easily be observed, such as Douglas fir.

I agree!! Exactly. It is amazing how much growth there was last year and now again this spring already. It looks like each year there are two years worth of growth. I'm getting shaded in faster than ever around here.
    I've been pruning back all the thick new lower growth, because the branches are hanging lower due to all the extra weight.